Great razor clam tides in April

Irishrover
Irishrover
I went out last night and dug a nice limit of razor clams. Sunset beach lived up to it's name. There was very little wind and plenty of sunshine. I only saw three other people out there digging. Later this month there are going to be some nice clam tide an they come at a gentleman's fishing hours, none of this up at 5am stuff. I hope folks here get a chance to enjoy it.

F
flocaster
Anyone know of any good places for razors in the Yachats area?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
flocaster said:
Anyone know of any good places for razors in the Yachats area?

for sure, the highest concentration of razors are at the beach, near the surf...:thumb:

Last edited:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
And thanks to Roger its open a bit further we owe that man a beer! I walked between N Jetty and Heceta Beach a week or so ago but didn't see any not that I know much about razors or how to see them. Bought a clam gun at Bimart I will try a few miles Norte of there when I get a chance! I live in Greentrees and we have our private river area I found a few softshells and all the sandshrimp a man can dig it 20 minutes.

F
flocaster
rogerdodger said:
for sure, the highest concentration of razors is at the beach, near the surf...:thumb:

So much for finding and raiding their nests in the trees then :sad:

Reactions: rogerdodger
Irishrover
Irishrover
Sometimes when they do not "show" what works is to pound them up. Besides my clam gun I also carry a stick about the size of a broom handle. I thump the wet sand with one end of the stick as I walk. Every now and then a clam hole will open up or one will shoot water. If I don't thump the sand, then it just looks like flat wet sand. I don't know much about the razor clam situation at Yachats, but if you ever get up to the north end of the state Clatsop County beaches are the place to head. A lot of folks come down to Gearhart beach, park and walk toward the Necanicom River to clam. Others hit Del Ray beach or Sunset Beach. The next best access is at Fort Stevens State Park. If I were prospecting for razors down there I would look for long stretches of sandy beach and go out a couple of hours before a minus tide. Look right were the water is meeting the sand, then look just past that and see if you can locate a sand bar just in from the surf. Be safe, g with a buddy and don't turn your back on the ocean.