Great opportunity

R
rainbowfisherman
I was invited to a fishing trip later this week. Not quite sure what day yet but towards the middle or the end of the week. The guy whos taking us has many boats so we could go to a river or lake. We will be most likely fly fishing. Where would be the BEST spot to get into some trout? I really don't know where to go. Thought maybe the McKenzie but don't know the river very well. Also i heard the santiam above Detroit lake is open, if so does that do any god this time of year. As you can see I really don't know where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks
Rainbowfisherman

Troutski
Troutski
Middle Fork

Middle Fork

My bet this time of the year for Fly angling for Trout would be the back of Hills Creek, where the Middle Fork comes in. Perfect water level and the fish are very hungry. Heck even the Middle Fork coming out of Hills Creek is pretty good this time of year...from the dam to Oakridge...

Tight lines

Chuck

C
capblack
rainbow lake has some very hungry brookies in it, and i bet they would be all over those flies like stink on spit if you know what i mean. Its beautiful this time of year as well, and the roads clear. good luck, Brian

R
rainbowfisherman
Thanks all, i have been thinking of hitting rainbow but i know its a very small lake and i think they wanted t be in a boat.

And troutski Hills creek, do you mean the resorvoir or is there an river? not very familiar with the area. Ill search it on the forum.
Thanks to both of you

-Rainbowfisherman

Troutski
Troutski
rainbowfisherman said:
Thanks all, i have been thinking of hitting rainbow but i know its a very small lake and i think they wanted t be in a boat.

And troutski Hills creek, do you mean the resorvoir or is there an river? not very familiar with the area. Ill search it on the forum.
Thanks to both of you

-Rainbowfisherman

The lake is called Hills Creek Res., the main river that feeds it is called the Middle Fork Of The Willamette. The river opened this last weekend so you can put your boat in at the back and motor to where the river comes in. Plenty of angling opportunities in that bay behind the bridge, watch for structure and river channels.

Chuck

E
everett464
I agree with Troutski. Middle Fork Willamette under Hills Creek Dam. Its skinny water, and a ton of fun to fly fish.

R
rainbowfisherman
Oh so you are talking about the Willamette not the actuall resorvoir. Thank you for clearing that up.

Troutski
Troutski
Boat -vs- waders

Boat -vs- waders

Both, either below the dam or above it....above the lake is boat water and below the dam is wader water.

Chuck

F
flyfisherman4
So what one has the bigger fish and what one is more populated?