Great day with the kid

N
nyersa
So, I took the kid out fishing today with baby in tow in a backpack, not really knowing what to expect. I mean, really, fishing with a baby? Showed up at the pond around 2:30 and got Alexandra setup with a bobber and had her cast out. In about two minutes she gets a hit, but misses it, then nothing for a bit. Switched over to bottom fishing, and as soon as we do, she started nailing them. She probably reeled in around 20 or so in two hours, but we lost quite a few cause we didn't bring a net (hard to carry fishing gear, plus baby on your back, plus baby gear, and a fish cooler). Ended up bringing home eight. What a great day!

troutdude
troutdude
Now those are SWEET pics my friend! Kudos to you, for all of your effort. You da man!!!

Alexandra will always remember days like that; and think fondly of her daddy.

M
mlinkletter
Looks like an awesome day out. I have a 2.5 year old daughter and we are going to see how she does at the lake for the first time this weekend. Hopefully in a few years she will be able to bring in her own haul like your daughter did!

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to guy guys!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
You are awesome!! I really admire a dad that isn't too damn macho to take the kids out and spend quality time with them without having the momma right there. I really get tired of hearing guys complain about "the old lady has to work and I'm stuck with the kids"! You are living proof that it can be done and be fun. Congratulations!!

M
metalfisher76
Nice! That is nice!! Good job Dad!

N
nyersa
Thanks everybody, it sure was fun getting her out fishing. In case any other care providers are out there looking at this post, here is a picture of the backpack I use when I am taking the kids out and about. Its an REI tag along, and makes life much more enjoyable for both the munchkin as well as the daddy :p. Trust me, just because you are watching a little one doesn't mean you can't get out and have some fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
M
moosebrew13
Where did you go? My five and two year olds would love that. We have been to Canby pond twice but only caught a couple of small Bluegills. We tried the bottom but they like to see the bobber bounce, plus the pond is so full of weeds all we bring up are giant weed clumps every cast. What kind of setup did you use for the bottom fishing. Thanks for the help. I love throwing the kids in the pack and heading out. At two she is a little big for it now but she still loves it.

N
nyersa
Thissell Pond, which is west of Alsea by a few miles. Here is a link to it in google maps: E Fall Creek Rd/National Forest Develop Rd 62 - Google Maps. I used a #8 hook connected via a 18" 4lb test leader to a snap swivel, and a small egg sinker on the main line side. I found the best combination was to use a power egg (either green or orange) on the shaft of the hook followed by a purple powerbait marshmellow to help it float. The power eggs worked pretty well by themselves, but I found the marshmellow to be a little more boyant and lift the hook better. I went there today and caught 17 12" rainbows in ~ 3 hours. Lots of people using bobbers, but I found that off the bottom worked better (I have the two pole license and set them up side by side with the same bait). Good luck, let me know how it goes!

PS: There were only two other people there on thursday when I went before, but when I went today the place was packed, so if you are going this weekend be prepared to fight for a spot. Also, no problems with weeds on the bottom that I saw, though quite a few small dead fish on the bank, don't know whats up with that...

M
moosebrew13
That is a really long drive for me, I am up in Oregon City but thanks for the info. I was trying a rig very close to that. I had the egg sinker, a small bead, the swivel, about 24in of line then the hook with a worm. To help it float I tried a small corkie I found in the bottom of my tackle box about 6 inches up from the worm. It looked like it was floating and the worm dangling pretty well. I have heard lots of good things about Power Eggs. I will have to give them a try with the marshmallows. Thanks again and for setting a good example for all the dads out there.