Government Island camping

T

The Nothing

Anyone here done any camping on Government Island or any of the other islands on the Columbia? My wife are gonna load up the kayaks and camp out on the river next weekend. Just curious if anyone else has done so and might have some info to chime in with...

F

Fishtopher

Yep. Few years back camped out on Govie for 3 nights.

If you like to camp right by the river on the beach, be sure to factor in the tide when pitching your tent. I know you're a smart feller and probably already knew that, but I saw a couple let their kids (16 or 17yr olds) set up their tent when they boated over at sundown kinda close to the river:naughty:. While they were hangin out at the fire later that night my friend noticed their tent half floating in the water as the tide came in:lol:.
We kindly let 'em know, but it was kinda funny to watch them scramble to get the tent outta the water:lol:.

If you camp above the treeline, dont be surprised if you get woke up by loud rustling in the brush:shock:! It's not a bear:redface:!
Lots of cows on a few of the islands out there. Freaked me out pretty good!

And last bit of significant info I got for ya is be sure to remember to anticipate it getting quite windy. Common sense, but can be forgotten when settin' up camp, and when the wind kicks up it could rip a tarp or tent if set up right (or wrong rather).

Have fun!:yay:

T

Troutier Bassier

I camped on Lady island and Mcgurie a lot. Same as Fishtopher said keep above the high water mark. (where floating debris lay on the beach) I made the same mistake as the two teens did but I noticed my fire was sizzling and I saw waves smashing against it so I had to move the tent up.
Fishing is good on most of the islands. I know on Government Island there is a lot of catfish that you can catch on liver and worms. And some shaker sturgeon. If you fish lures you might catch a bass or two.

D

Diehard

the cows

the cows

those cows can be a real menace they come in late at night and they will get into your coolers and food bins they are getting used to camp food and they like it they are very hard to run off. the bank fishing can be fun ive caught sturgeon carp bass flounder northernpike perch on crawlers have fun keep an ear out for those cows they eat anything in there path

T

The Nothing

Thanks guys - pretty much everything I had figured. I knew about the cows. Some of them actually end up at my work, and on my grill. I've seem them chase each other out into the river before too. Kinda surprised that they've figured out the campers though.

Troutier - any cattle on the other islands?

Thanks all!

T

Troutier Bassier

There wasn't any cattle or other animals bothering us on Lady island!