Government Cove banks

J
JonT
Hey guys, did a fun hike around Government Cove in Cascade Locks today with my 8-weight and a big popper. No takers, but I was just kind of messing around. I saw two others fishing (earthworms under bobbers) and they had a few chunky smallmouth on the stringer. The rock ledges on the bank look like great smallmouth habitat. Is that spot worth fishing during summer months? I'm sure there's some good sturgeon possibilities as well.

M
MikePierce170
I'm curious about this area too. I've been there before to scout the area. I'm interested in diving it to see what I can find. I know there are carp there to shoot :)

B
BJConner
There is a point north of the cove . There is gap at the end with a pretty good current through it. Throw CTJs (3/8,1/2 oz curlyly tailed jigs, mister twister etc) into the current and the slack water on the sides. Take plenty (lots of snags) and work your way down, Use white, yelow and black and jig heads with EYES. Small mouth like current and deep water. I caught my personal best smallmouth there. Better than 5 lbs easy but no scale. I threw it back so it's maby still there.

tbrinks
tbrinks
BJConner said:
There is a point north of the cove . There is gap at the end with a pretty good current through it. Throw CTJs (3/8,1/2 oz curlyly tailed jigs, mister twister etc) into the current and the slack water on the sides. Take plenty (lots of snags) and work your way down, Use white, yelow and black and jig heads with EYES. Small mouth like current and deep water. I caught my personal best smallmouth there. Better than 5 lbs easy but no scale. I threw it back so it's maby still there.

BJConner is right about the smallmouth. This time of year they will be in the backwater areas to spawn, but once they are done they will mainly be in the mainriver. Some of the fish will hang around, and it looks like it is fairly deep in there so it wouldn't surprise me to catch them all year long in there. If there are any largemouth, they will definitely be in there.

Regular Mapping
go2.jpg
SonarCharts
2.PNG

J
JonT
Thanks for the info, tbrinks! I think BJ was talking about the area in the attached screenshot. I've been out there twice since I posted this thread, but it's been far too windy and churned up to even cast. I did see two dudes out there yesterday on the lee side (east) of the point release a 40" sturgeon and said they had released 15 before noon.

point.jpg

B
BJConner
JonT
That's the right place. I though everyone knew about the wind on the Columbia. The last time I was there I had to hunker down behind a rock with just the tip of my rod sticking out. I tried a night crawler with a bobber with a bobber stop but I think it was not getting down due to the current. More weight and a bigger bobber might work.