Got snow?

hobster

Wow biggest snowfall here in years! I just measured 11 1/2 inches here in the west EUG, and I don't live in the hills with the rich people:) that's the valley floor. How abouts in your neck of the woods?

Last edited:

troutdude

Only a very light dusting in Corvallis and Albany. Nothing to write home about.

Tonight the temp drops well below the freezing mark. So be careful on the roads tonight, and tomorrow morning.

Irishrover

Oh that's good news and that snow will be good for the rivers. We had snow off and on all month out here east of Sandy. That snow in Bend will be good for the Deschutes but 20" in one shot is a lot to deal with!

4labs

2ft at my hse above the Rice Hill truck stop (I-5). Pwr out for 3days and they say maybe 1-2 weeks depending on where you live. I hope not.
Live on a county road and the road dept drives by in a snow cat. On their way back I ask when the Cat 966 and road grader will show up and they laugh at me and said your on your own. Ok . So the Mexicans and I get our kubotas out and plow a mile. But the Mexicans only plow up to their driveway and shove a 8' pile in the middle of the road to block the other neighbors. (7 other res.) Theirs hard feelings between a neighbor past the vineyards entrance.
So I make it out and see one of the line crews and ask them when they may head our way. He said not until the county plows the road ,they don't want to get their rigs stuck.??? Sounds like Catch 22.
Anyway massive tree damage where ever you look. Have at least 15 tress down and 30 places or more with fence damage on the acreage and broken limbs everywhere One dougfir missed the hse and all night tress were crashing in the forest behind us, Very nerve racking. Have at list 1-2 months of clean up and fence repair when I can finally get the equipment moving. Still we need the snow and maybe be getting close to a normal water yr. were 7" behind.
Power just got back on in Roseburg yesterday and today in parts of Sutherlin and Oakland.
I-5 was shut down for 12hrs and almost every other road 38, 138, 58 and most other hwys leading into the mountains were or are closed.
199 was also shut down for awhile and 101 between brookings and gold beach is closed and must detour over carpenterville rd.
Its a mess out there.

In Glide I got about 8 inches, friend of mine up on Looking Glass said she had 15 inches. Neighbor got a tree on his house with no damage and I had an oak break and take out my fence in two spots.....however it missed all my fruit trees and my grapes. I used Jolly (My little John Deere) to push a madrone out of the road after a fellow did some saw work so I could handle it. I looked over one evening and he, my neighbor, had some turkeys on the log and it was evening. How many of you remember the two buzzards from the cartoons back in the 50 n 60'w, well that is what they looked like. Oh well tomorrow starts the clean up. MY Brother, in Roseburg was without Power for 45 hours which is not bad but he and his wife are in there mid 80' but they had heat. We had a terrible time as we lost power for about 2 1/2 hours but no tv for a couple of days..that was nice. All in all we just snuggled in for the long haul. I was in Roseburg for the Blast in 59, Wind storm in 62 and the Christmas flood of 64, many storms at sea and some good ones in Puerto Rico. We have learned to just hunker down and let it blow, if the power goes out we just put on extra clothes or blankets.

Attachments

4labs

Day 6 no pwr and no line crews in site.
County finally showed up with the road grader and a plow truck plus a crew with chain saws
Have the gen re-wired to the well and have running water in the hse. Both Gen I bought in 1990 for building a hse and were on there way to the dump this yr. Changed the oil and flushed out the fuel tanks and they started in 6 pulls
Now with pressured water can hook up to the trailer and take hot showers and don't have to get water from the creek to flush the toilets
Deep cell batteries run the internet and a few lights their hooked up to 400w inverters
Freezers in the shop are on when the gen is running the pump
Dish is coming out today to fix the Sat. Hit by a large tree branch
Anyway all main local roads open so supplies are easy to get and fuel and a lot of stressed people in town without the ability to cope with this.
As time goes on there will be some "unattended deaths" in the area.
For awhile only cash was excepted anywhere with phone lines and pwr out and many don't have or carry any.
Walked past one young girl screaming at her smart phone saying "I don't understand why you don't work I need money"
Will have a better plan next season and move the trailer away from any tress with a cover and 30 amp hookup Also will build a emergency water source off a spring about 300yrds from the hse that should have at least 20 lbs pressure piped to the hse

Attachments

hobster

Man you guys in the country have had a rough time! My buddy in Roseburg is still without power so they left town for the weekend, and he lives in the city. Good to see it thawing out but these nights in the 20's are not helping the cause. Still snow on our little side street. Gonna do some cleaning outside today, lots of branches to clean up. Trash is stacking up with no pickup last week...…….but believe me I can't complain, we made it through this pretty easily.