Got my first ever steelhead today

C
craigatkins
I was fishing where the Minam and Wallowa meet, really just hitting the last week of trout season and got my first ever steelhead, a nice bright 25", about 5 lbs. What a fish..........I had caught several 14"-16" trout in the past and missed a few bigger fish but knew the difference pretty quick. I would love to include a picture but we only have dial up internet service and it just wants to lock up when I have tried in the past.

I was using a 1/8 oz. black rooster tail. I have heard that the fish are biting on the Grand Ronde in the Troy area, I will have to check it out and let everyone know.:D:D:D

Last edited:
M
metalmania
Congrats on the first steelie man:clap:.

kirkster
kirkster
Sounds awesome congrats on your first steel chromer

C
craigatkins
attempt at adding a picture

attempt at adding a picture

I hope this shows the image of my first steelhead

M
metalmania
craigatkins said:

Wooohoooo bloddy chrome, gotta love it:D.

F
FishFinger
That will make a great dinner!

Were you using standard trout gear while pitchin' the rooster tail? That'd make the fight even more epic. The rooster tail..... Was the blade nickle, brass, or something other?

A
Anyfishisfine
Nice one!

kirkster
kirkster
craigatkins said:

Seein that blood run down that chrome:dance:gets me all uhhhhhh!!! I gotta go:dance:JK nice fish bro.

C
craigatkins
Standard light trout gear, 6 lbs. line, 7ft. rod, black rooster tail with green spots and a bronze blade, it was actually a 1/6 oz. After about 4 or 5 minutes of making no headway it was all I could do to tighten the drag and then when I tried my trout net, about 16" long, I realized it was time to work my way to the bank and yard her onto the grassy bank I am hooked.:D

A
adambomb
Nice job! my first steelie was about the same size, on about the same gear, a day in my life I will never forget.

S
steelhead1
oh man, your screwed! welcome to the life of a steelhead addict!:D

N
nw5785
Can i please join the group? :(