Got my circles

F
fish_4_all
Well I got my circle hooks and hope to try them out soon. I like the way they are designed actually and the point is scary sharp and long. I think they will hold a salmon and steelhead in any part of the mouth once that point gets barried.

Will report on them as soon as I put them in the water. Hopefully a few of those late run monster Coho will bite Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully I can remember NOT to set the hook when using them.

Q
qwapaw
What kind of Circle Hooks did you buy? Will you post a picture of them. I hope you catch a big one, Tight Lines, Qwa

F
fish_4_all
Eagle Claw Octopus 1/0. Will get a picture in a few.

F
fish_4_all
CircleHooks1.jpg

They tie up really well. Can take the snell down far enough to insure the eggs stay close to the point but clear enough to allow a clean hook set, well clean pull tight anyway, whatever you call it.

I get 25 wraps before tying in the egg knot snell. I think they turned out well and will allow me to keep my bait in the strike zone/slot without ripping off the eggs every time i think I have a bite.

Only bad thing is it looks like it will be 2 weeks before the rivers drop below my front door so it will be a while before they become tested. Oh well, winter run steelhead is supposed to be good and maybe have some late Coho in there when ad if the river drop to fishable levels.

H
halibuthitman
mustad and owner both make great circlehooks, I have been useing them for about 12 yrs and prefer the owner brand, eagleclaw also makes a decent hook, but they are harder and the tips break off easier so I would have to say they are inferior to the owner or mustad.

F
fish_4_all
Tips break off on what? Fish, rocks, snags? So far I haven't had any break crimping the barb.

T
Troutier Bassier
:shock: That knot is intense.
How do circle hooks work?

H
halibuthitman
I use them for sturgeon and halibut and have had tons of em break when they hang up on bottom, and lost probably my biggest sturgeon to one breaking in two mid shank. And t.b a circle hook rotates and self sets when a fish pulls or turns its head, making a good hook set not as important.

F
fish_4_all
Troutier Bassier said:
:shock: That knot is intense.
How do circle hooks work?

The know is a standard egg loop knot. I will try to find the link for tying them but they are extremely easy and considered one of the stronger knots. Is basically a standard snell just modified a little.

As for how they work, don't "set" the hook. A simply steady hard pull back is supposed to set the hook. If you jerk the hook I guess you can actually miss fish. I will have to see how they actually work when I get to use them. Rivers are gonna be high for a week here or more so it will be a while.

I hope these don't break, if they do I will be writing to Eagle Claw for replacements or a refund. Hate to lose a trophy steelhead because a hook breaks.

1aB
I tried EC #4 circles catfishing with the grandsons. We caught 3 and every hook snapped when attempting removal.