Good weekend at Oxbow

T
tonylovepdx
Anyfishisfine was actually the bigger winner, but since he hasn't posted the pics, I will.

Anyfish limited out by 9, and I got 1 on Saturday, and flew solo and picked up another one on Sunday.

Anyfish with his biggest and the rest of our Saturday haul.
DSCN0922.jpg

Me with my single from Saturday
DSCN0923.jpg
I actually caught mine first, so it had been hanging around awhile. Hence the missing scales.

My single from Sunday
DSCN0925.jpg

And finally...I'll probably get roasted for this, but, as much as I love fishing, I hate fish. Handling them is gross but necessary and eating them is out of the question (calm down, they definitely don't go to waste). So I'm sure you can guess where that leaves fish cleaning on my list of things I love doing. Since the fish I caught today is going to mgdguy and he won't be taking delivery until this evening, I had to bite the bullet and clean a fish for the first time in my 31 years.

This momentous occasion required appropriate attire:
FishClean1.jpg

I survived, but mgdguy will be getting the bill from my therapist.

S
SALTYFISH
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah thats to much thats all im guna say!!!!!!!1
good job gettin in to some fisht though!

A
Anyfishisfine
I actually don't' eat much fish either. I like it smoked a lot, but you can only do so much of that.

I bought a vacuum sealer yesterday and made probably 25-30 packages of meat after I filleted and deboned it. I'm just going to pack it in a cooler and take it to work for a salmon give away. I know none will got to waste.

2 were hens, so I have a nice supply of eggs I'm going to cure up tonight.

W
wozniasm
Great fish guys! You're kiling me! I'm in the middle of a move so I can't take off for fishing. Hopefully, they are still around after the weekend of October 16th where I hopefully will be able to hook up with someone. I figured on getting in touch with fishingfreak since he's been extreemly helpful in answering my questions.
Save a few for me! Oh, and I do eat fish!

A
Anyfishisfine
Oh, and this is my new "what now" picture. These guys were heavy to haul out.

6wS10.jpg

B
BobbiDollPDX
Nice fish but geesh, you don't like to eat them? I hate smoked fish cuz it destroys the flavor.

I have charcoals readying in the grill and some coho sitting in beer and spices. I made garlic butter and put it in the fridge to set up so I can put it on top and let it melt in as it cooks.

I think that the coals should be ready just about when I finish up my beer and then it's on.

M
mgman6000
I love salmon bbqued and haven't even hooked one since I moved up here last year!! This has got to change or I'll sell my salmon gear and only fish for trout!

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go guys! lol

C
civicfun
nice was that by the boat launch or by the picnic area? was there today at the picnic area seen fish but non caught. if you dont mind what was your bait

T
tonylovepdx
civicfun said:
nice was that by the boat launch or by the picnic area? was there today at the picnic area seen fish but non caught. if you dont mind what was your bait

Picnic area both days. We use #4 Blue Fox's, and my suggestion is to cycle through whatever colors you have and see what works for that day.

W
wozniasm
Being a newbie and working on catching salmon, I was told by a guy that when you purchase a Blue Fox that you should remove the treble and go with the single hook that comes in the package. He stated that the treble tends to break. Is this a true?

M
mgdguy
Anyfishisfine said:
I'm just going to pack it in a cooler and take it to work for a salmon give away. I know none will got to waste.

*COUGH* *COUGH* - salmon giveaway, ole buddy?? ;)

Nice fish guys!! Wish I could have been there. Of course, the ONE weekend this year my wife and I head to the coast without kids. Figures! :rolleyes:

T
tonylovepdx
wozniasm said:
Being a newbie and working on catching salmon, I was told by a guy that when you purchase a Blue Fox that you should remove the treble and go with the single hook that comes in the package. He stated that the treble tends to break. Is this a true?

There's a lot of "siwash vs treble" debate, and this sounds to me like someone using a scare tactic to help his side of the argument. There have to be millions of Blue Fox's sold every year, and if there was any tendency for them to break you'd hear a lot more about it.

I could say we caught all five of these fish on size 0 rooster tails and someone would believe me enough to go try it.

T
tonylovepdx
mgdguy said:
*COUGH* *COUGH* - salmon giveaway, ole buddy?? ;)

Nice fish guys!! Wish I could have been there. Of course, the ONE weekend this year my wife and I head to the coast without kids. Figures! :rolleyes:

You just picked up a whole one from me an hour ago now you're trying to get some of his...classy. :)

W
wozniasm
tonylovepdx said:
There's a lot of "siwash vs treble" debate, and this sounds to me like someone using a scare tactic to help his side of the argument. There have to be millions of Blue Fox's sold every year, and if there was any tendency for them to break you'd hear a lot more about it.

I could say we caught all five of these fish on size 0 rooster tails and someone would believe me enough to go try it.

Thanks for the response. I see your point about a history of breaking and not hearing anything... Personal preference sounds correct.

T
The Tightest Line
Nice work people

A
Anyfishisfine
wozniasm said:

I've been buying the Blue Fox's that come with the single hook you can add. I like them because they snag less (both to the bottom and to me), and they seem to hold the fish just fine. Also I feel like trebels do more damage, especially to smaller fish. I can't imagine a non-defective one breaking though.

F
fishingfreak
Good job guys they are beautiful !:clap::clap:

R
rippin fish lips
wozniasm said:

I have broke treble hooks on spinners and spoons on fish and snags. Either way you either going to lose the lure break/bend the hooks. I have broken many trebles on thomas spoons. But salmon and steelhead do tear trebles on spinners and spoons up pretty dang good. It's just all about what you prefer to use. If im usin treble hooks on spinners or spoons ill usually smash down the barbs to hurt the fish less... 3 hooks will still rip em up but no barbs sure does help!

C
civicfun
cool thanks for the tip.