soooo

i have been thinking about getting a steelhead guide and i have questions

1 HOW MANY PEOPLE CATCH FISH WITH A GUIDE

2 DO YOU GET A REFUND IF YOU DONT CATCH ANYTHING

3 ARE THESE TRIPS 1000% SUCESSFUL

4 AND IS IT REALLY WORTH IT

C
ChezJfrey
I learned steelheading the hard way. I fished mostly solo for 13 months, with no fish, until I got my first one that 1+ year after starting the quest. After that, it became 'easier' in the sense I started catching a few here and there, then finally got to the point where I could reliably count on at least a hookup every few trips or so.

In that time, I surely spent WAY more time and money to figure things out.

Last year, even though I considered myself proficient enough on my own by then since I've got a handful of years under my belt now, decided to book a trip with Ed Fast on the Sandy just for grins and to see if the raves about him and his guiding were considered and worthy. My trip with Ed is the only guided trip that I have taken to date. Ed floats on a pontoon, but all fishing is from the bank, and I was told that he will answer all kinds of questions one might have about technique, water, fish holds, etc., so it fit what I might want from a guide as a bank angler.

I think I spent $150 or so and after the day was over, in retrospect, it would have probably been a good idea to do such a thing earlier in my steelheading.

Ed was fantastic. He is laid back, informative, easy to fish with, quick to talk all kinds of fishing, a wealth of knowledge, helpful and plain knows how/where to fish. I hooked 3 fish within a couple hours with that guy and had a good time out there with him. All rigging was done by him; if I broke off, he handed another rod to fish, while he re-rigged for me, gave me a couple free beers, handled fish cleaning after the trip, just plain easy day of fishing and nothing else.

Nothing is guaranteed, but the guides with the rave reviews obviously get results and know the systems they guide; your odds of hooking/catching go WAY up when in their service.

I have not gone with Tanner, but I have fished with a couple people on this forum that have gone and from what I've heard, Tanner will provide similarly to my experience with Ed (gladly share info, tips you can use when on your own, etc.). Given the raves and props Tanner gets, I plan to book a trip shortly just to meet this man; he sounds like a great guy and just plain fun to fish with.

jamisonace
jamisonace
You will likely catch fish but you are there to learn as much as catch fish. If you're worried about refunds or 1000% success, whatever that means, the guide would probably not want you in his boat.

I've been skunked with guides at least four times but took something valuable away each time.

Y
Yogidabear
oregon30 said:
soooo

i have been thinking about getting a steelhead guide and i have questions

1 HOW MANY PEOPLE CATCH FISH WITH A GUIDE

2 DO YOU GET A REFUND IF YOU DONT CATCH ANYTHING

3 ARE THESE TRIPS 1000% SUCESSFUL

4 AND IS IT REALLY WORTH IT

Is this for real ?

Question 1. Lots

#2 A refund? sure a guides going to take you down the river provide all your gear, fuel e.t.c. and if you don't catch anything he will give you your money back and if you buy tickets for your favorite football team and they don't win you can get a refund as well.

#3 sure 100% every guide limits the boat every time he goes out so question number 2 is void disregard that answer.

#4 no catching your limit with a guide is never worth it, you will be disappointed because you wont catch the state record.

# 5 turn off your cap locks you don't need to YELL!

T
troutmasta
^^LOL^^

You never get your money back, its fishing not catching, they are guides for a reason.

Book with Tanners Guide Service and tell him your dying for some steelheads....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutmasta said:
^^LOL^^

You never get your money back, its fishing not catching, they are guides for a reason.

Book with Tanners Guide Service and tell him your dying for some steelheads....

x2

O
oregon30
really caps lock means im yelling hmmm i didn't know that sorry

but yes would love to catch steelhead or salmon atleast get my money back out of this worthless tag ..... just tired of people being smart asses and im tired of getting ripped off i would hate to spend 375.00 and get told SORRY GO **** YOURSELF HAHAHA with my money in hand

just saying

W
waco
Go with Tanner.

O
oregon30
im located in shady cove oregon

Casting Call
Casting Call
Guys! If it walks like a duck,talks like a duck. It is a duck! Where did this guy come from? (O...30) Sounds like a 10 year old! I want it now kinda guy! From all the posts i've read. this guy needs a reallity check or someone to spank him. Tony

O
oregon30
shut up casting call im dead serious ......... ive been trying for 8 years to catch salmon and steelhead ok i know its hard and ive been ripped off and im tired of playing games

Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call said:
Guys! If it walks like a duck,talks like a duck. It is a duck! Where did this guy come from? (O...30) Sounds like a 10 year old! I want it now kinda guy! From all the posts i've read. this guy needs a reallity check or someone to spank him. Tony
I want to unring this bell(post) "anyone that responds to foolishness,responds as a fool" quote: by tony 1970 .......Tony

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
oregon30 said:
ive been trying for 8 years to catch salmon and steelhead ok i know its hard and ive been ripped off and im tired of playing games

oregon30 said:
atleast get my money back out of this worthless tag ..... just tired of people being smart asses and im tired of getting ripped off...

I am curious about your use of the term "ripped off". by who? cheers, roger

F
flocaster
oregon30 said:
shut up casting call im dead serious ......... ive been trying for 8 years to catch salmon and steelhead ok i know its hard and ive been ripped off and im tired of playing games

If you've been trying for 8 years with no luck the only person you have to blame is yourself. Even a monkey coulda caught steelhead in that much time. Perhaps had you spent your time learning one technique instead of constantly changing gear you would have a fish by now....remember, you can't catch a fish if you don't have your line in the water

B
Big3d
I've never said this before, but Oregon30, fishing may not be your thing. I lost 100 bucks in tackle since december. You win some you lose some. Whining on a forum doesn't catch you fish, and being a baby on here won't get you invited out to fish by people who could teach you a lot. CC, do what you gotta do. Or30, nobody is ripping you off but yourself... done. Out.

O
oregon30
im tired of wasting money on all my fishing equiment i buy everything you all buy ..... i do have respect for everyone on this site hands down ...... IM VENTING FRUSTRATIONS ..............but the point is....... i tie everything correct and do everything right double check switching colors and worms weights and jigs 13 COLORS

i went out today again for 6 hours .....nothing i have been reading the water looking for sweetspots and tailouts im mostly bank fishing because i can't afford a riverboat im just tired of spending all this money on supplies guides and fisherman swear to god works ........ and nothings working yes yes these are tricky fish i do understand sorry that my frusterations are a problem

T
troutmasta
For the sake of the conversation, go get yourself a guide it will do you world of good. Good luck go do it then post a picture of the fish that you catch. That's the best you're going to get

D
Dizzy Fisherman
oregon30 said:
im tired of wasting money on all my fishing equiment i buy everything you all buy ..... i do have respect for everyone on this site hands down ...... IM VENTING FRUSTRATIONS ..............but the point is....... i tie everything correct and do everything right double check switching colors and worms weights and jigs 13 COLORS

i went out today again for 6 hours .....nothing i have been reading the water looking for sweetspots and tailouts im mostly bank fishing because i can't afford a riverboat im just tired of spending all this money on supplies guides and fisherman swear to god works ........ and nothings working yes yes these are tricky fish i do understand sorry that my frusterations are a problem

You need more help reading water if you in fact went out today.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Good point. The rogue has been blown out this week.

Dizzy Fisherman said:
You need more help reading water if you in fact went out today.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
oregon30 said:
im located in shady cove oregon
Seriously? Your IP address shows you to be in Poulsbo, Washington this morning. The same address as last week. Interesting. :popcorn: