Good spots for taking a child fishing

R
ryan
Hi Everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm entering into a mentoring relationship with a little guy and one of the activities I'd like to expose him to is fishing (and generally being outside). Does anyone have any suggestions for good fishing spots to take a 7-8 year old close to downtown Portland?

More than likely we'd be looking to catch a few planted trout.

Looking forward to any tips. Thanks.

Q
qwapaw
Go to the other specie heading in the fishing in General header and re the "other fishes", by catch me Kate. She outlines the park behind Lake Oswego pretty well and it sound like a young person could catch a few fish there. Good luck, and have a ball. Dan

C
cchinook
ryan

ryan

fish with kids while not boring them crazy - they do not have the patience for steel or salmon , that comes later , here is what I did with mine , way back in the day - Sauvie Island , Gilbert boat ramp , worms = lots of catfish off of the boat dock , and giant carp and all kinds of other fishies -

M
Mmfh
cchinook said:
fish with kids while not boring them crazy - they do not have the patience for steel or salmon , that comes later , here is what I did with mine , way back in the day - Sauvie Island , Gilbert boat ramp , worms = lots of catfish off of the boat dock , and giant carp and all kinds of other fishies -

When I was a kid our family always went to Sauvie's Island and mostly fished on the Gilbert. Now just up river a little bit from the ramp is a handi-capped dock that is nice to fish from and with some good lively worms and a couple of hours in the early morning they should do pretty good!

Good Luck!
Mm

M
Mmfh
I just thought of another place you might like if you want to drive just about 40 minutes out of town. On the Clackamas river you could go to North fork reservoir and at the reservoir their is a very small lake for kids called small fry lake, its only for age 14 and under and no license required. Its at the campground called Promontory park. The name of the park might not be spelled right?

My kids always do good their with worms and green power bait and a #6 hook.

Good Luck!
Mm

R
ryan
Thanks everyone, these are great ideas. I completely forgot about Small Fry Lake, always am driving past it though. That's a good spot, so is the Sauvie Island deal.

Again, thanks for all the responses, helps out a lot.

T
Troutier Bassier
cchinook said:
Thats Where I caught My First Fish, A Perch when I was 3.
Take them There, It Is a Nice place. Havent Been there in 3 Years or so. :(