Good small lakes or ponds for pontoon boats

N
njbinkers
Hey there ppl,
So i just got a pontoon boat. an 8ft Creek Company and was wondering so good lakes that others have a good success on for trout. Im from Troutdale and have been thinking for this season of hitting up Benson lake and Hartman pond in the gorge, maybe kingsley lake up near hood river(never fished it), frog lake near mt hood(again never fished it) and trillum lake. any others i should try?
btw i also have a Washington license too so any good lakes in SW?

also if you have a pontoon boat, how do you like it? ive used mine once. i like it. any tips?

Thanks,
Nick

M
Markcanby
I have 3 of the same toons an love them. Im March last year I took mine up to Olallie an caught 8 holdovers over 12". Also Harriet is fishable right now but maybe slow.

F
fish4life
Clear lake on Mt hood, If you fish the one arm of it you can stay out of most of the wind. Picture of fish in my profile was from there I think it was about 10 pounds also have caught holdovers up to 18 inches best fishing is right after they open the road up thats when you will have your best chance of getting the holdovers.

N
njbinkers
sweet deal!! yea i got the odc sport lt. im gonna make a motor mount for it and a new custom deck.
ive wanted to hit both those lakes. btw how long does it take to get to Olallie? is it a day trip or more of a overnightier?

N
njbinkers
fish4life said:
Clear lake on Mt hood, If you fish the one arm of it you can stay out of most of the wind. Picture of fish in my profile was from there I think it was about 10 pounds also have caught holdovers up to 18 inches best fishing is right after they open the road up thats when you will have your best chance of getting the holdovers.

i love Clear lake. ive gone up there a few times with our boat and have cought some good size fish there. so which arm? there is kinda like 3. if your from the dam looking out, to the right, middle or left? my best time there was the middle arm

M
Markcanby
njbinkers said:
sweet deal!! yea i got the odc sport lt. im gonna make a motor mount for it and a new custom deck.
ive wanted to hit both those lakes. btw how long does it take to get to Olallie? is it a day trip or more of a overnightier?

If you put a motor on it you have to licence it. If you leave around 5 you would be on the water around 8

N
njbinkers
Markcanby said:
If you put a motor on it you have to licence it. If you leave around 5 you would be on the water around 8

even if its a elec motor?

B
BobbiDollPDX
N
njbinkers
BobbiDollPDX said:

wow i didn't know that, i only thought that was for gas.
so how do you get one for a pontoon boat?

F
fish4life
At clear lake I ussually fish the bigger one off to the right. I ussually troll rooster tails with a lot of line out. Colors black, brown, green got the big one on yellow but black is a consistant producer. If it is windy I just put out a split shot and worm and let the wind blow me. didn't go last year but the year before was getting 30+ a day.

O
OutdoorsTeen
Kidney lake in washington. Its by bonneville. Very pirmitive boat launch. But tons of trout all hatchery. Also goose lake up by wind river. Battlegrounds lake like 45 mins from vancouver wa.

S
sherman
Come spring I like the high lakes around La Pine, wiki-up. North Twin, South Twin, Cultus, Lava lake. No motors allowed on N & S Twin but they are small lakes. I just got my toon registered & titled so I can use my trolling motor. $65.00 it's $3.00 a foot $30.00 to title & $5.00 green fee. I've been out twice last week on local lakes around here but no luck.

troutdude
troutdude
You might want to hit North Fork Reservoir on the Clackamas system sometime. It's not too far from where you are.

N
njbinkers
OutdoorsTeen said:
Kidney lake in washington. Its by bonneville. Very pirmitive boat launch. But tons of trout all hatchery. Also goose lake up by wind river. Battlegrounds lake like 45 mins from vancouver wa.

thanks man ill diffently look into those as well. opening day im going to rowland lake. im going to battleground on friday, they stocked it like 2 weeks ago

N
njbinkers
sherman said:
Come spring I like the high lakes around La Pine, wiki-up. North Twin, South Twin, Cultus, Lava lake. No motors allowed on N & S Twin but they are small lakes. I just got my toon registered & titled so I can use my trolling motor. $65.00 it's $3.00 a foot $30.00 to title & $5.00 green fee. I've been out twice last week on local lakes around here but no luck.

thanks for the info and how much for putting on the motor. kinda sucks cuz in WA if you are under 16 ft and under 10hp no need to register

N
njbinkers
troutdude said:
You might want to hit North Fork Reservoir on the Clackamas system sometime. It's not too far from where you are.
ive cought quite a few fish out of there. i love that place, but will it be too much for the lightweight pontoon boat? i know it has a good current in the RES. or should i stick over where they stock it in that inlet where the culvert is?