Good rivers for a 10-year old near Bend?

C
cknaka
Will be in Bend for the 1st time late in late August for five days. Looking for some river advice for fishing with my 10-year-old son, who is fishing crazy like his dad. I've taken him fishing since he was sitting on my back in a carrier. Since he could walk, we go to the Cedar River, South and Middle Fork Snoqualmie, North and South Fork Stilliguamish in the Seattle area. We've also fished the St. Joe in Idaho. He can bush wack and cast a fly. We've fished the Yakima river in the canyon, but it's kind of challenging doing that with him from the bank. And, I'm a bit wary of the strong currents. I'd say the best experience was on the upper flyfishing-only section of the St. Joe because he could wade (with my help) and he caught a lot of fish. I had a great time too because I was able to get into enough larger fish (12"+) to keep it interesting. I've been researching the upper D, Crooked, Metolius, and Fall rivers on line, but would appreciate input from someone who's actually flyfished those rivers with a kid. Thanks...Craig

S
Snopro
Crooked for sure and maybe the Fall or upper Deschutes. Not the lower D or Met.

S
Snopro
One more. It's further away but the John Day can also be a ton of fun for the younger guys. The smallmouth will probably all be little but the quantity makes up for it. Sometimes it can be multiple fish per cast. Watch for snakes!

B
BrandonBeach
Fish in tumalo state park. Easy water, little fish though.

troutdude
troutdude
Take him to Velveeta Point, at Lava Lake instead. Lemon Lime Power Eggs OFF the bottom. With 4' of leader. Then HOLD ON cuz those fish are fiesty! Or, if you are able, rent a boat and motor over to a spot along the western shore (where it's rocky). Drop anchor about 50' from shore. And cast the same Power Eggs towards the back, about 15' from the shore. You'll be right on top of a heavily populated lane, of traveling fish.

S
Snopro
Lemon Lime Power Eggs to a fly fisher are like MD 20/20 to a sommelier.:cool:

Reactions: jacknrubin
troutdude
troutdude
Oh I didn't catch the part about flingin' bug wands. Just saw that he wanted to take his kid out.

C
cknaka
All great ideas. Highly appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Reactions: troutdude
Irishrover
Irishrover
Check out the Deschutes at Lower Bridge if you are in the area. It's west off Hwy 97 out of Terrebonne on the Lower Bridge Road. Prince nymphs, Hares ear do well. As mentioned the Crooked River off hwy 27. Mile post 12 to 19 is a great area. My favorite is above mile post 17& up. The river is very wadable, and don't worry about it being a bit off color, it is always like that. Favorite method is to wade out and cast back into the cut banks where a lot of fish hold. Most of the times it a nymph show. Enjoy.

Reactions: beavis
MrCaptBlueSkull
MrCaptBlueSkull
cknaka said:
Will be in Bend for the 1st time late in late August for five days. Looking for some river advice for fishing with my 10-year-old son, who is fishing crazy like his dad. I've taken him fishing since he was sitting on my back in a carrier. Since he could walk, we go to the Cedar River, South and Middle Fork Snoqualmie, North and South Fork Stilliguamish in the Seattle area. We've also fished the St. Joe in Idaho. He can bush wack and cast a fly. We've fished the Yakima river in the canyon, but it's kind of challenging doing that with him from the bank. And, I'm a bit wary of the strong currents. I'd say the best experience was on the upper flyfishing-only section of the St. Joe because he could wade (with my help) and he caught a lot of fish. I had a great time too because I was able to get into enough larger fish (12"+) to keep it interesting. I've been researching the upper D, Crooked, Metolius, and Fall rivers on line, but would appreciate input from someone who's actually flyfished those rivers with a kid. Thanks...Craig
The fall river is a good one. Not too deep, clear, fishes very well

Reactions: troutdude and Admin