Good quality line?

G
greenhorn
I am new at this and just got a high class spinning real a Quantum Boca. I want to get some real good line for it. I only have Trilene on my old rig at 20lb. It seems a little stiff and apt to twist up. What is a high class line for a good rig. Also is braided line an advantage for spinning reel? I'm planning on putting 20lb or 25lb. on this for big fish, such as salmon.

O
osmosis
It depends which model of boca, which weight of line you should run.

Tuf-line and a couple other braids can be very nice, but some spinning reels just don't seem to perform well with them. Give it a try if you prefer it, and see what your reel works with.

If you're just looking for a good brand suggestion, the best monofilament mainline I have ever used is Maxima Ultra Green.

I have to say every time I hear people talk about old line I cringe. Change your line often. whether it just sat or was used, replace mono atleast quarterly.

G
greenhorn
thanks osmosis

thanks osmosis

I will take your advice and get some maxima asap. thanks a lot for the knowledge, I know nothing of the sport as yet.

18406ej
18406ej
Wow- that's a nice reel. Stay with the forum and it won't be long until you know everything that you need to know to feel comfortable with the sport. It won't be long before you are posting your own advice. Good luck,

F
fish_4_all
Maxima for sure. I use the Crystal Ivory but I have used ultra green and most others colors with the same results.

Why such heavy line? I use 12 pound test for all salmon and steelhead so I think 25 might be a little overkill. Remember, the lower the test the better the feel and castability.

G
greenhorn
fish 4 all

fish 4 all

I assumed heavy necessary since I have had 12 break on every snag and lost a lot of money in lures.

N
nineeleven
Maxima or Pline are my two favorite.

F
Fishtopher
Ultra Green.

I used 12# for Coho, and now 10# for winter steelhead. When Im using spinners, I tie directly to the main line, omitting the leader, mainline currently 20# Tuff Line. Is this wrong? Well, not wrong, but ideal? Idk, but I sure dont loose any money to the river bed. Just alotta bent hooks.:lol:

*The advice I got off the bank when I started really tossing spinners was if your fishing faster water, it wont really matter what size line your spinner is tied to, as long as your not using anything over 20# diameter for steelhead, 25 for coho, and 30 for nooks. It was stressed that this would not work in slow water, cuz if the fish had time to look at your presentation, it would notice the rope attached to the dope.*

:think: Is this true, or did I get doped?

F
fish_4_all
Well in that case go heavy braided if it works on your reel and use alighter wire hook on your spinners. I switched to a light wire hook and lost a lot fewer spinners using 12 lb Maxima but I know guys that use braided and light wire hooks and rarely ever lose a spinner. Lots of bent hooks like Fishtoper said but hooks are cheaper.

For braids I actually like Remington Braid. Seems to cast really well and doesn't imbed on my reels but I only use it for bobber fishing so I can't really say for spinners. Can't see why it won't work though.

P
phish-on
what is the opinion on 12lb p-line?

O
osmosis
#12 p-line (in the varieties I've tried) makes ok not great leader material and very bad mainline.

A
ArcticAmoeba
P-Line makes for halfway decent leader, but it has absolutely zero abrasion resistance. Good overall strength, but not my favorite in the least. Siege on ther otherhand can get brutalized along rocks, and under logs while the fish is on, and you can still pull 12 lb. Coho up onto the bank floppin around with their 8 lb incarnation. Go UG when in doubt about mainlines, and leaders. There is a reason the stuff has been the same, well chemically, for freeking ever! It just works, and it works well.

Troutski
Troutski
Line size...

Line size...

After reading this thread I have a question, why do so many Steelhead anglers use such heavy line. Are the fish in the northern part of our state that much larger than my southern fish ? I use 8# main line and 4 - 6# leader depending on water clarity. I do mainly catch/release in creeks and some heavy water (middle fork Willy) and see no need for anything larger. Is it that I am such a spectacular angler ;) or some other less meaningful reason ? I use Fireline for my main and Fluorocarbon for my leaders.. Just very curious...

Chuck

F
Fishtopher
All I got...

All I got...

Troutski said:
After reading this thread I have a question, why do so many Steelhead anglers use such heavy line. Are the fish in the northern part of our state that much larger than my southern fish ? I use 8# main line and 4 - 6# leader depending on water clarity. I do mainly catch/release in creeks and some heavy water (middle fork Willy) and see no need for anything larger. Is it that I am such a spectacular angler ;) or some other less meaningful reason ? I use Fireline for my main and Fluorocarbon for my leaders.. Just very curious...

Chuck

I think I fish of it like this; If Im targeting a fish that can be longer than my arm, then I want a leader that wont snap at my knot when I apply a certain amount of pull to it. That certain amount is just "what I think feels right". :)think:Maybe bad knots...maybe "knot")Nothing else. Well maybe. I was born on the Columbia during the Fall King run, with a 10ft heavy action placed by my side in a rod holder immediatly. Big river plunker habits and I think that reflects in the newer fishing methods that I am attemptin to be proficient at. Maybe I just need to catch more fish, or a spinner tutor or something.

:rolleyes:No wonder I can't catch a fish...

F
fish_4_all
I just use 12 lb. line for everything darn near. Salmon, steelhead both winter and summers and salt water fish. I only use heavier for sturgeon and lingcod and lighter for trout. I have landed 14+ pound fish on 8lb. test but I have never had a fish break 12 lb. mono so why use anything else.

Oh, and I will never EVER use Vanish again! I broke off every single fish I hooked on it while using 6 pound test for trout while I landed every one on 4 lb. Stren.

D
doublestrike
I was of the opinion that if the fish could see the line you were using then they probably wouldn't go near it; so I used 6# Ande tournament line and 4# UG leaders. Then one day (by mistake because I didn't have my glasses on) I grabbed the reel with 20# Power Pro to go trout fishing in the boat. After launching, I started to hook everything up and discovered my mistake. Well that was all I had and so I used it. To my surprise, I caught just as many fish and had a blast watching them little 15 and 16 inch trout take line and fight like a "big fish". Then I figured that if 20# was overkill, I would try 10#. You see the diameter of Power Pro line is very small and to top it off I got it in HI-VIZ yellow. The fish don't seem to mind that at all and I am having a ball with it. What really blows me away is when they hit it nearly doubles my pole over and with 'no-stretch' line and a light drag setting fishing a riot.

G
grampa ron
spin fishing

spin fishing

The quality or brand won't matter if you don't put it on the reel properly. Put the line line through the rod eye closest to the reel, attach it to the spool. Start reeling some line on then give it some slack. If it starts twisting, turn spool of line over and try it from the other side. I have found that most lines want to come off the spool with the lable up. Do not put a pencil, or whatever, through the center of the spool and take it off that way. It is gauranteed to be twisted when done.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Teach me,I can learn to feed my own village....

Teach me,I can learn to feed my own village....

grampa ron said:
The quality or brand won't matter if you don't put it on the reel properly. Put the line line through the rod eye closest to the reel, attach it to the spool. Start reeling some line on then give it some slack. If it starts twisting, turn spool of line over and try it from the other side. I have found that most lines want to come off the spool with the lable up. Do not put a pencil, or whatever, through the center of the spool and take it off that way. It is gauranteed to be twisted when done.

grampa ron;
Well,poop! That explains a lot. Silly ol' me, following directions. :shock: I would even bet it was a guy that wrote those directions,just not a fisherman guy. So, do you just let it bounce all over or is there another trick you can share? I thought about buying one of those fancy line winder thing-a-ma-jigs. :think: I had one line soooo twisted that I finally snapped...the rod...when I started beating the hell out of my truck. :naughty: :confused: :D :lol: :lol: My 30 year old son almost wet himself laughing at me. I felt bad/great afterward. :dance: Wish I had known your trick with the eye on the rod back then.
Oh well, live long enough to learn and make all your enemies mad. Be safe.
Barb

H
Hawk
Go out in yer bote. Feed into the water behind boat about half yer spool of bear(bare) line or more(all). Reel line back in under tension(hold with rag). yer line won't be twisted...............................:lol::lol::lol:.................................:cool::cool::cool:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Prevention is worth an ounce of cure.....BF

Prevention is worth an ounce of cure.....BF

Hawk;
That sounds like a plan. I have also hooked onto the rear bumper and walked away with my rod over my shoulder. After 100 yards,I turn around and start walking back and reeling in. It's kind of like not having an unexpected new arrival into the family,I'd rather prevent it than deal with it. :pray: :dance: Be safe.
Barb