Good places to crayfish?

C
Crabbin503
Can anyone recommend me good places to crayfish around the Portland/Gresham area? I have tried the Columbia River once, Sandy River twice, and even the Clackamas River once which were all disappointments (1 to 4 crawdads per trip). I use traps and net them from the shoreline as well. Maybe creeks or lakes would be more productive? Let me know. Input appreciated.... Thanks.

B
BrandonBeach
There is a season I think, look it up

Timothy Lake is full of them, 20-30 feet, better at night.

Lake billy Chinook is a safe bet, more like 35 feet there. I have had traps full to the brim there.

I have heard Ollallie, Lost and Promitory lakes can be good, I have never fished them.

Diamond lake used to be good also.

I wouldn't eat any from the Columbia, lower Clack, Tualitin or Willamette rivers.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
There is no season. It's open, all year.

I saw a couple of professional trappers, at Lake Billy, back in late June/early July.

X 2, on BB's comments about eating them from the Big C (and especially the Willy). I've NEVER wanted to eat any, from those stream. Nor eat any fish either. WAY too many toxic pollutants!

Try some of the coastal streams; if you can. The water is MUCH cleaner.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I know I am a little late to the party, but I have yet to run across a coastal stream that wasn't full of crawdads.

EOBOY
EOBOY
It's my understanding from comments on here last year that crawfish didn't absorb the toxins. I believe they use crawfish from the willy for the Tualatin crawfish festival.

Casting Call
Casting Call
mud bugs do filter toxins! never been on the no eat list. Dana love the wolfhounds patch.Tony