good place to fish?

O
Outdoor_Myers
Well here soon 18406EJ and I might be trying out this river for the first time. Is there anyone who will be willing to show us the ropes on this river? Like what size of weight to use what kind of bait? good fishing locations I seen the mouth of the river a couple weeks ago lots of people swimming right off the boat ramp. would 2-6oz of weight be good or does it need to be heavier than that for banking?

Thanks for any response!

B
beaverfan
What method of fishing are you going to use? The amount of weight you'll need will depend on that and how strong the current it is and how deep it is.

O
Outdoor_Myers
not sure we will be looking for coho I do believe want to join us :p lol my plunking rod I can cast 6 oz but its very stretchy and not very long casts. then i have my steelhead rod that can cast 2oz I believe the spot I seen was on the east side of 205 and south shore of the mouth there is a park right there a boat ramp and a fishing store like a block away?

F
FishSchooler
You wont really need much more than a few split shot if you're drift fishing, and less than 1 oz if you're bobber fishing
...unless you are plunking...
I guess most people will cast/retrieve spinners at the mouth and in that case you probably wont need to add weight
I havent personally fished down there but Im just passing on what i've heard :)

G
Growbug
I stopped by a spot on Thursday and a couple of people there pulled in a nice Coho each (one native one clipped).
I stopped where 205 crosses the Clack, at the hotel (exit is Gladstone - BIG FLAG).
There is a path behind the hotel (to the right hand side if you are facing the hotel) to the rocks below and they guys were tossing large spinners and spoons off the rocks.

O
Outdoor_Myers
Thats right there in oregon city right? boy I hope im thinking of the right place lol.

W
waco
Outdoor_Myers said:
Thats right there in oregon city right? boy I hope im thinking of the right place lol.
yes you are!!

W
waco
i live close to that spot!! but i didn't know the fish were here yet!! so i guess ill have to give it a try!!

O
Outdoor_Myers
waco said:
i live close to that spot!! but i didn't know the fish were here yet!! so i guess ill have to give it a try!!

Lucky! I have a crankbait I use to use years ago for walleye its silver I been wanting to test it out and see if coho will love it or not sucks I live an hour away from the clack and no car!

N
nativefish
if you are gonna fish the mouth there are like parks and parking lots on both sides of the mouth, and they plunk at meldrum bar down there. There are usually a couple people plunking near the bridge from the clackamette side and i doubt u would need more then 6 ozs to plunk there.

G
Growbug
waco said:

If there are fish being counted at the falls, then i would guess that at least 1/2 that number went up the Clack and weren't counted