Good place to fish for kids in Springfield area??

C
Chary
I've got three kids who LOVE to fish - one got a fishing rod/reel for his 10th bday last week. Where can I take them? I want to make sure they catch something but they get discouraged when they don't get anything every time we go... Is there anything in Alton Baker? Dexter Lake is just up the road from us... is that any good? We have worms and Powerbait and I'll do my best to figure out these darn knots to tie the hooks on. :) But I'd love to let my younger two catch their first fish.

Thanks!

J
JeannaJigs
I learned how to fish at Alton Baker and Junction City ponds. They're both well stocked and very kid friendly, haha which is why I don't fish either anymore ;) Dexter is not awesome for fishing, I don't care what anyone says, I've fished it hard many many times with little to show for it other than Pike Minnows, it's not a great place to take kids. Worms and power bait kill 'em at the ponds though.

C
Chary
JeannaJigs said:
I learned how to fish at Alton Baker and Junction City ponds. They're both well stocked and very kid friendly, haha which is why I don't fish either anymore ;) Dexter is not awesome for fishing, I don't care what anyone says, I've fished it hard many many times with little to show for it other than Pike Minnows, it's not a great place to take kids. Worms and power bait kill 'em at the ponds though.

Thanks Jeanna! Think we will try that!!

T
TTFishon
Is trout all you're after? OH yeah, welcome to the forum.

C
Chary
Whatever they can catch

Whatever they can catch

With worms or Powerbait! Lol.

Don't have any lures but might swing into biMart and see what they have...

T
TTFishon
You can try here. Google Maps
There's bluegill, bass, crappie, brown bullhead, suckers, and an occasional trout. With a worm and a bobber your kids should catch some decent bluegill.

C
Chary
Well that's a lot closer. We will need to give it a try. Any spot that's good? I've been there before just to to fish.

T
TTFishon
I've caught bluegill and bullheads on the side where the canal runs and near the spillway.

R
Rollett
Alton Baker has a lot of room to do bank casting with no worry of hitting anyone. .. And tons of Duck crap.. :( But they did stock it about two weeks ago with 1k fish but there was probably 200 fish leaving the Canal per day.. Some times AB gets stocked at end of season by Eugene and Local youth groups.. that would be a good time to go :)

C
Chary
Junction City

Junction City

Well we gave JC a shot and didn't get a thing... but it looked like no one else was there. But they had fun. Used Powerbait and worms on bobbers. Are bobbers only connected at one end?? My sons new fishing pole is great but still not a thing. Oh well, another day. :)

Sure would like to know when they stock these places... like Alton Baker, JC and are there any other kid-friendly places that they can fish at?

Thanks for all your help.

T
Thuggin4Life
Google trout stocking schedule and you will be able to find the info on odfw's website. its only an idea because all the dates are the begging of the week and not the real day just the week they do it but then there is a conformation number you can call to find out if it has been done. lots of places get stocked on the same day of the week every time. also try the bnk of leaburg along the highway. good thing you are doing good luck. if i ever get my boat together maybe this spring i can take you guys out trolling for trout.

P
PARTYBOY
That is an awesome link to check out. Just fyi when looking at the stocking schedule, the dates listed are all Mondays! That does not necessarily mean that they are getting stocked on the specific date! They will get stocked during the week (M-F) of the date listed. Also, you can always call the ODFW at the number listed under your watershed district to find out what ponds/lakes were stocked that day! Hope this helps!

T
Thuggin4Life
thats the site i was talking about.

C
Chary
Thanks

Thanks

That's a great site. Thanks a lot. Looks like next time JC is gonna be stocked isn't until the end of the year!! Gosh I think JC Pond was frozen last year at that time! Lol. Might be a liitle too cold at that time for me... I mean us!! Lol. :).

Would love to go out fishing sometime with someone who actually knows what they're doing. I know that makes a huge difference!! It's what got me hooked on fishing as a teenager! My dad had a fishing buddy who'd take us all over Montana's hills... Fun fun times!! So thanks for all you're help in this!! Hope my kids will get good at this someday... Right now it's all lost bobbers, tangled lines, etc... Still fun but far from relaxing!

M
marriemb
welcome to the forum google map is a good place to find fishing spots

M
Malicedest
Went to Alton Baker this morning, and Fished the Pond behind the BMX track... did well catching some beautiful rainbows.. kids limited in just a few hours, not to mention the 5 or 6 they lost! was a great morning... saw a couple 14-16 inchers as well on the stringer!