Good ol' Wikiup

B
Bgunder
Well me and a friend headed over to Wikiup reservoir last Thursday evening as a kind of spur of the moment fishin trip.Our plan was to stay Thursday night and head back Friday morning but as we headed over the mountain we decided to stay another night as well. Anyways as far as the fishing went trolling did nothing for us so we went to our go to method.All in all the fishing was pretty slow with us only getting 10-15 bites the whole trip.The first fish I set a hook on I had looked over to see my bobber buried so I reel in my slack while saying some explicit words and swung, all I remember after that is feeling like I had hooked a log then my line snaps:doh: I had been using 10 pound fluorocarbon but after seeing no logs in the shallows where I was I knew it was a fish after that I immediately switched to maxima ultragreen.I missed a few bites mainly out of excitement and setting the hook too soon before my bobber had completely buried.My friend also had his frustsrating moments losing one 18+ in. rainbow that jumped out of the water and spit his hook as well as a nice brown that broke him off due to drag issues on his POS reel.Well finally we got to the moment we had been waiting for, the evening fish.We headed out to where we had gotten a good amount of bites and started fishing, soon into I saw the familiar bob of my float bouncing up and down, I waited and waited but never got a chance to set the hook as the fish had lost interest after a couple pecks.Well since it hadn't picked up much after that my friend suggested we move to a new spot but I told him the ol' "well, let me make one more cast" and sure enough a minute or two after my cast my bobber starts bobbing and I waited and waited for it too bury, finally it goes under, I set the hook and the fight was on. Most of the browns we have caught over there, even the 20+ inchers just don't fight like you would think but this fish made multiple line peeling runs before I tired it out enough to get it to the boat and into the net, and just like that my skunk was off and I was holding this little beauty which measured out at a girthy 18inches.

• wikiup brown.jpg
T
Throbbit _Shane
Beautiful brown! Wickiup is fun but tough fishing, atleast for me lol.

P
prhea1st
Nice fish!

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Wickiup Browns are not spectacular fighters, but they ARE cagey lil' devils when you get them on the hook. I've lost more than one that broke off on me by making a surprise run on me just when I though he was tired enough to bring to the net.

Anyways, how's the water level on Wick? I'm hoping to hit Sheep Bridge in about three weeks.

Oh, and Nice fish +1

B
Bgunder
Yeah its kinda funny you think you have a smaller one on and it ends up being a 20+ incher.The water level is lower then usual for this time of year but my friend told me they usually let more water in from Crane soon so we'll see what happens.Thanks for the compliment on the fish, it probably was the best fighting brown I have ever hooked, I really had to play it out to get it to the boat.