Good Gear

I
IGotABite
Well i was just wondering i am using the ugly stick right now but i am looking for a good reel as well as, is anything better or worse lol and im in the willamette so any good spots or best gear to use for the shore

O
osmosis
we need more info as to what type of fishing (method and species) you plan to be doing, plus what type of ugly stick is it (spinning or casting, and line rating?)..

M
metalmania
First off is your rod a spinner or a baitcaster? And what would your price range be. For tackle I usually run 4-5 inch senkos on the willy. For added attraction cut them from the tail up about 1 inch. Then cut them again the same length so you have 4 little tails on the end. Watermelon and green are good colors for the willy. A 1/8 oz jighead is good for almost anywhere down there. Just cast out and let it sink. Then pop the rod tip 2-3 times and let it sink. Do this until you get to shore. The bass will often hit very very close to shore so don't think you have to cast way out there to find them. Look for log poles or other similar structure and cast almost on top or just beyond them and thats where the bass will often be hanging out. Swan island boat launch is a descent spot, you won't catch them by the truckloads but most of the fish I hook in there are over 2 1/2 pounds, and i've hauled out a few over 4.

I
IGotABite
beats me i am just getting to all of this as of this season i am just a catch and release guy all for fun but i am wanting to get into it, i got the black ugly stick with the red on the bottom i dont know the difference in the spinner n bait stuff type rods,

I am just hoping to get a good bass tackle box lined up

n looking to get it organized small n large mouth baits cranks spinners n so forth, i am just glad i found the site i need a lot of work but i can already tell you guys are the men n women to come to for all the info.

Thank you so much for everything so far, thats all i can really say about what i got.

i got all sorts of jigs though black eyed pink and yellow

M
metalmania
Baitcasters have smaller eyelets and there's not as big of a size difference between the first and the last. Spinning rods start large and end very small. Spinning reels require you to open the bail before you cast. With Baitcasters you simply push a button or pull a small lever and cast while keeping a small amount of drag on the spool. Also the rod length and and the rods line weight rating should be printed on the side of the rod near the handle.