Good day on the Mackenzie yesterday

C
cobias
Caught this summer steel and jack salmon on the Mackenzie yesterday. Was pulling a k9 blue pirate kwikfish. Lost one other steelhead due to my p-line 10lb tippet leader i was running off of my 12lb mainline. Not a fan of p-line brand flourocarbon anymore. Too many breakoffs. Berkley vanish has always been the best flourocarbon to me. Anyway...go out and get em' ! The Mackenzie is loaded with steel !

R
rippin fish lips
nice fish!! and welcome too OFF. were u floatin in a drift boat?

Admin
Admin
rippin fish lips said:
nice fish!! and welcome too OFF.
:lol: He joined the forum about a year and a half ago. ;)

E
everett464
Nice work dude. Where did you pick them up? You getting out this week?

R
rippin fish lips
Anatoliy said:
:lol: He joined the forum about a year and a half ago. ;)

OHHH! i had no clue :)

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go man! Some nice fish!(even the litte one)

C
cobias
Yeah i was in my driftboat. It was a long day and frustration started to build....you know, "what am i doing out here broiling in the sun " " maybe i lost my skills"....i was seriously bummed. Then i caught the jack...boosted my spirits a bit cuz i knew i at least caught a fish i will eat ( not a fan of eating truck trout ) then all h#ll broke loose...hooked a steel that went ape and broke me off then nailed this one...both in the last streatch before i had to take out. This action was much needed. Yeah everet464 i will be getting out probably wendsday or tues. Ill send you a pm. But that river is loaded with fish. You all should be hitting it as much as you can...i counted 35 steelhead in all the tailouts and shallow riffles between leaburg dam and greenwood...a tip : if you can wade to that island across from hatchery creek and the first revetment and cast small spinners in the top of that shalow riffle before it turns into a rapid...you should get one. They were all over in there.

R
rippin fish lips
cobias said:
Yeah i was in my driftboat. It was a long day and frustration started to build....you know, "what am i doing out here broiling in the sun " " maybe i lost my skills"....i was seriously bummed. Then i caught the jack...boosted my spirits a bit cuz i knew i at least caught a fish i will eat ( not a fan of eating truck trout ) then all h#ll broke loose...hooked a steel that went ape and broke me off then nailed this one...both in the last streatch before i had to take out. This action was much needed. Yeah everet464 i will be getting out probably wendsday or tues. Ill send you a pm. But that river is loaded with fish. You all should be hitting it as much as you can...i counted 35 steelhead in all the tailouts and shallow riffles between leaburg dam and greenwood...a tip : if you can wade to that island across from hatchery creek and the first revetment and cast small spinners in the top of that shalow riffle before it turns into a rapid...you should get one. They were all over in there.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the update! did u get those on spinners? if so, what size and color? if u would tell me :) havebnt yet to land a steely this summer! ill be floating the river tuesday, wednesday, and thursday. and prolly will do that stretch! any tips are much appriciated! thanks!

C
cobias
@rippin lips : No i hooked all on small kwikfish...with the water so low and warming up i would use dark color spinners #3 blue foxes or panther martins in black. If you know how to pull plugs just pute the plug out way before your "target" water...the fish are very very spooky. I used a 5 ft 10lb flourocarbon leader tied to my mainline and i think it helped. Just be carefull on your approach. This also may sound nutty but....wash your lures/rigs before you fish em. I had got lazy about it the last few years and had bad results...its hard to tell if it mattered this time but it sure didn't hurt. Good luck and i might see ya out there. I have a 15 foot 76' alumaweld drifter with no paint.

R
rippin fish lips
alright! so when u say wash my lures, u mean just rinse em off in the sink?

P
plumb2fish
lemon joy, old style not the ultra and give em a gentle scrub with a tooth brush and rinse em off. don't hurt to keep a bottle on the boat to wash em after each use.

A
abibibo
cobias said:
a tip : if you can wade to that island across from hatchery creek and the first revetment and cast small spinners in the top of that shalow riffle before it turns into a rapid...you should get one. They were all over in there.

Been putting in my hours ... at least a couple trips to the river each week since I moved down from Toronto back in April, but the big water out meant re-learning most of what I knew from fishing the much more visual lake Ontatio tribs. I'm not even sure I was at exactly the hole you mentioned, but I took your advice and got a small jack on Saturday. Reinvigorated, i went back this evening and finally managed my first Oregon steelie; much obliged on the assist ;) (if you ever see me on the water I think I owe you a beer). She slammed a lightly weighted #8 orange-hackled boss right at the end of the swing. Sure felt good to hear that reel screaming again.

E
everett464
Da'amn. What a fish. I like to see McKenzie Steel. I haven't been exactly angling for them, but i have only ever even had one go at my fly. It was an awesome 20 seconds or so, lol.

C
cobias
nice!

nice!

@abibibo Nice steel on the fly ! Great pic too ! Yeah i floated today and it was like a ghost town for steelhead...i lucked out on a healthy spring chinook but i wanted more steel. I think they truck em' down on tuesday so the upper run gets good by the end of the week. I hope my tip helped !