Good bank rod?

M
Moe
What is a good bank rod for sturgeon? Mostly keeper fishing? Ugly sticks are good? Thanks!

T
The Nothing
I've been a fan of my Lamiglas Surf King. $100 and will fling 8oz lead and bait no problem. if you need to toss more than that (ie Bonneville) then you'll need something else...

B
beaverfan
For a beginer rod the Ugly Stick will perform nicely and aren't expensive. I would normally recommend a longer rod but since your still young a 9ft rod might be a bit much. I'd say 7'6"-8'6" heavy rod rated for say 20-30lb line or so.

M
Moe
I am at the mall right now, and am thinking about an ugly stick 12 ft. for 74$ Good rod?

T
The Nothing
sounds good to me

B
beaverfan
What pound line is it rated for? If it's rating is high enough that you can spool it with 25-30lb line you should be good to go. Also it should say what size lure is recommended for it. You will want something big enough to cast out 6 oz of weight or so. I would just ask a sales person where the sturgeon rods are. Basically the one your looking at may very well be able to handle sturgeon, or it might be a surf fishing pole that won't be able to cast as much weight.

M
Moe
I didn't buy it, waiting to think about it. By the way it was rated for 20-40 lb and up to 6 ounce lead.

B
beaverfan
Then it would have worked great.

F
frodog
I just added to my arsenal an ugly stick 12ft heavy action level wind rod for bank plunkin for all larger fish and it works great so far I am using it to cast a rr spike and a mess of gear and it will handel it with ease as well as has a nice feel fighting 15lb steelhead. I found this srod a bimart for $69.99 the spinning rod for the same size and action was $72.99 this is the cheapest price on these rods around. I looked for days being this is the last rod my will allow for some time, she calls me an addict, what does she know.

D
Derick
Damn man only if my grandpa was still around he tied up some really quality rods, and I know this is late as hell but its always worth a shot to dig around at garage sales for rods you don't need anything special for sturgeon as long as its beefy enough you are golden (although there have been 12 footers landed on salmon polls).

S
SNDSLGR
Ive got a nearly new 12' ugly stick I would sell for 50 bucks if you are interested. Will cast at least 10 oz without a problem and will handle keeper and oversize easily.

R
Rascal
SNDSLGR said:
Ive got a nearly new 12' ugly stick I would sell for 50 bucks if you are interested. Will cast at least 10 oz without a problem and will handle keeper and oversize easily.

why are you selling it

S
SNDSLGR
Bought a boat a year ago and a new boat this march... dont bank fish for sturg anymore. I used it about 7 times.