Golf ball weights ?

R
Rokjak
Sometime ago there was some discussion about fishing on the coast using golf balls and small eye screws.:confused: Looked in the past and found out about peeing in the urinal but ?????? Anyway, can you fill me in as to the where and when to use them? Something about not losing so much tackle. Thanks. Jack L.:)

M
Mike123
Really? Some golf balls are acid core... :shock: They are kinda buoyant.. they sink, but real slow from what I've seen. (I never hit them into ponds or anything. :D)

B
BlackBass
I seen it done last year off the rocks in Depoe Bay. Mike is right there kinda bouyant and dont sink to fast, and they bounce and roll around far to much. Lead is still fairly cheap if you get it from the right source . I pay around 7 cents an ounce .

R
Rokjak
thank you

thank you

BlackBass said:
I seen it done last year off the rocks in Depoe Bay. Mike is right there kinda bouyant and dont sink to fast, and they bounce and roll around far to much. Lead is still fairly cheap if you get it from the right source . I pay around 7 cents an ounce .

Thanks fellas-----I kind of wondered about this when I first read it. But heck I'll try anything once:think: Was curious how to rig this up thinking it would bounce along not to fast on the bottom of an inlet and cover more area.
Will be spending some time around Depoe and Newport areas from late spring to mid summer on and off. Want to go on the Tuna run and do lots of surf fishing with fly rod and casting rod. But I can't go until I have worn out the Springer run down by the John Day Dam. Looking for places to fish along the coast.
BlackBass----- where do you find lead for 7 cents a oz. Thank youall Jack L.:cool:

B
BlackBass
I get my lead from a guy out of springfield and a guy from Oregon City. I found them on craigslist :) Makes it a lot cheaper then store bought lead

Irishrover
Irishrover
Rokjak said:
Sometime ago there was some discussion about fishing on the coast using golf balls and small eye screws.:confused: Looked in the past and found out about peeing in the urinal but ?????? Anyway, can you fill me in as to the where and when to use them? Something about not losing so much tackle. Thanks. Jack L.:)
I remember that threat. It seem like they were fishing at Boiler Bay and it was a female fisher person. Mmmmmmmmmmmm I'll remember the name some time. I found it it was Shadelady...........

Last edited:
M
Mike123
A rock with a hole in it would be the ideal weight! I need to try that!
I've seen in the back of STS mag, an ad for "stone weights"... :lol: They actually tried to sell rocks with holes in them. :lol:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
shadelady

shadelady

Rokjak said:

Check out the posts by shadelady. She is the one who started the discussion a few months back. She seemed to like the idea and was using them.

B
BlackBass
I know her personally , i watched her catch fish with this method, although i dont think its ideal , i can say it works. I was using jigs one day and she was usin bait. She caught two nice rockfish , i caught notta :)