Gold Beach salmon

4labs
4labs
Made it down to Gold Beach tus and wed by myself and see if I could finally get some fresh fish.Tides and wind were a factor but got there after 1200 and joinned the wolf pack along the north jetty.Fish were being caught all around me ,sometimes 3 to 9 boats with hookups at the same time but zip for me.Moved past the 101 bridge and still more hook ups and still nothing. Feeling truely cursed I tried everything I knew but at the end of the day zip. Without my Labs I was not in the best of moods. Hit it early wed just straight bait still nothing. Tide changes and more boats show up along the North jetty and then it starts. Boat after boat have hookups and of course nothing. Went to geen blades and a tighter spin on my anchovie finally one on but throws the hook. Fish #2 hit about 20mins later, almost in the net and my knot slips at the treble hook and it was at least 30 inches. 10 mins later #3 on get it in its about 15 lbs. The skunk is off and one on ice .Two more take downs but no netting. Saw at least one over 40lbs caught and maybe 20 or more over 30 lbs. lots of silvers but no real size yet.
This is true combat fishing with 60 to sometimes 120 boats fishing within 10 feet of each other in less of a 400ft line.The cat house to the spit. As the tide comes up fish move to Indian Creek area.This is the best fall season in 20yrs and still going until a big rain hits,water temp 65 any lower and the bay will empty out except for the indian creek fish. Good luck to all.

Reactions: bd2cool
Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice report. Glad you got one to the boat. I've only fished that area once. That trip the Illinois River had a mud slide and it blew out the Rogue. The Rogue can produce some very large fish, I hope you get a chance to land one of them.

jamisonace
jamisonace
This is the kind of report I hope to see when I login here. Thanks.

I've heard great things about the Rogue this year.

Do most ppl troll anchovies there or is that just a personal choice?

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace;n607227 said:
This is the kind of report I hope to see when I login here. Thanks.

I've heard great things about the Rogue this year.

Do most ppl troll anchovies there or is that just a personal choice?

I've never fished there but I have read not to use herring in the Rogue but rather anchovies.

4labs
4labs
Always anchovies .In past years I would go down to the North Jetty and jig for bait . Caught herring, smelt ,and sardines .and used them all .Wife and I had a double on once with fresh plug cut herring so yes herring works and I really like plug cut since its more forgiving than anchovies, just have to get a really tight spin on it . Have even caught some on a hoochie instead of a spinner bait . So who knows, Gold beach is a tough one to learn . The day I fished most of the guides were using straight bait .

jamisonace
jamisonace
4labs;n607231 said:
Always anchovies .In past years I would go down to the North Jetty and jig for bait . Caught herring, smelt ,and sardines .and used them all .Wife and I had a double on once with fresh plug cut herring so yes herring works and I really like plug cut since its more forgiving than anchovies, just have to get a really tight spin on it . Have even caught some on a hoochie instead of a spinner bait . So who knows, Gold beach is a tough one to learn . The day I fished most of the guides were using straight bait .

The only time I fished the Rogue was around 1990. Two highschool buddies and I went down there in a 14' skiff and trolled around with the masses. We ended up with one 19' fish. It was the only fish we saw caught that day. We felt pretty cool.