Going to the gorge this weekend

C
catfishman89
Im heading out to the gorge tommorow at 4 am. I wont be back until sunday but if my phone works enough I might send live action reports. Hopefully I will get that 5 pound smallie this time.

T
tomriker
goodluck

H
Hendo30
Good luck out there buddy, I hear there are some nice places to fish smallmouth out there. 5lbs or bust.

T
TimberTodd
Good luck. Let us know how you did.

bass
bass
Good luck!

C
catfishman89
ireport

ireport

Got to my location at 7.30. Started fishing at 745. Wind was pretty bad but i found a few calm areas. Right off the bat I caught a couple cookie cutters. Then i got a nice 16 incher. Most fish were 12 to 14 so a lot of nice fighters. Then i headed back to camp and ate some breakfast. Headed back out and caught a nice 3.75 poumder. A little to small for the trophy page but it fought like a steelhead. I got 20 bass so far and im just getting warmed up.

T
TTFishon
Beautiful smallie!!!

T
TimberTodd
Congrats, thats a nice fish. Sounds like a great time, keep the updates coming.

F
Finneus Polebender
Nice Smallie bud keep em comin!

C
catfishman89
This afternoon and evening was pretty slow. Lots of dinks. I got about 20 more fish. I had to fish some dropoffs with a drop shot to get anything over a pound. I had a blast catching dinks on my ultralight though. So far the morning is a lot better.

C
catfishman89
Saturday was pretty slow. Senkos were getting me squat. I met roger ie exbassguide and he gace me some tips and i started to catch some more fish. I ended up with 21 bass and nothing really big. Today i got 53 bass and some big ones. My biggest was 4.10 pounds. All one the senko. Once the storm settled down the bite was on. Fish were going nuts at sunset. I think the smallies are moving in to spawn soon. Water was 58.

Last edited:
I
Ifishforfood
awesome dude! i can't wait to do the same myself

bass
bass
Great report and nice pics. A 4.1lb smallmouth is a great fish! You definitely have me fired up!

H
Hendo30
Sweet lookin fish, glad to hear you caught some.Thanks for sharing.

T
TJR_84
what part of the gorge where you at, I have fished around the mouth of the john day and killed it also around hood river area!!!I love fishing Smallies!!! Great post.

C
catfishman89
I fished from about 500 am to 9 am today. I got 17 mostly cookie cutters. The bite stopped when the wind started. I got 132 bass total mostly on senkos and cranks. Senkos were getting me the bigger fish especially watermelon and red. My arms are sore and i need a break. Im not going to reveal my exact location but i was above the dalles. Its a popular spot but people dont catch squat because they fish ot wrong. More bass for me. I can't wait for next year but i guess there still 5 months of bassin left.

bass
bass
Fantastic trip and reports. Thanks for taking us along with you. I have not been able to get out in a bit over a month and it is killing me. Reports like yours are my life support - thanks for not pulling the plug :)

F
Finneus Polebender
53 bass even if most were small is great fishin !

T
TimberTodd
You definitly had a great trip Catfishman. I met Roger while fishing at Hagg last summer and learned a couple of things from him.

T
tomriker
i fished with roger a couple times, he's a pretty smart guy!