Going to Tenmile

C
colby
can anyone tell me about fishing tenmile? what am i going to be catching most likley, anygood spots, tips on rigs, etc. pics of fish from there too would be awesome! oh, and we are taking a boat, but i also want to fish off some banks.

F
FishSchooler
Bass and trout are best bet there, stick to soft plastics, lizards, senkos, and that type of stuff. Spinner baits work well I think in bays and stuff, live bait works well always, and dont forget to bring some garlic spray if your fishing in hot weather to get rid of you're sweat or human scent!

Troutski
Troutski
colby said:
can anyone tell me about fishing tenmile? what am i going to be catching most likley, anygood spots, tips on rigs, etc. pics of fish from there too would be awesome! oh, and we are taking a boat, but i also want to fish off some banks.

Bass, Bass, and a Striper/White hybrid called a Swip....did I mention Bass. Lots of cover..boathouses, boat docks and natural weed beds with lillypads...did I mention a great population of Bass.
If you look carefully you can find a channel that connects two lakes together, very cool - - - like a Disney ride, totally cool. It even has a drive up (in your Boat) store...so much cool. Have a great time and spend some time exploring the lake, nice place.

Chuck

C
colby
why do i need to cover my scent?

C
colby
also, what colors of plastic baits should i use? i am planning on buying some hoochies, worms, frogs, salamanders, grubs, all that.

see, i havent bass fished in ages, and when i did, i was like 9 and my parents were rigging the pole for me. actually, the first time i bass fished was at tenmile.

F
flippinbaits
colby said:
why do i need to cover my scent?

would u eat something that smelled like cow dung???

fish are the same way. But even more sensative to smell. Lot's a oils on your hands introduced my repelents, sunscreen, and smoke from smokers add bad smells to the bait. I would simply wash your hands with a mild soap, and then apply a bit of scent to the bait, you will be fine. Scent isn't imperative, but getting the bad smells is for slow moving baits, so rinse them off.

as far as what colors. match the hatch, and the color of the water. typically muddy water = blacks,blues,purples
clear water= green,red,brown (more natural colors)

when i say match the hatch, go to the color what the fish are feeding on. If they are eating shad, throw something with either white/blue or a combonation. Crawdads would be a red/black. Sunfish would be a chartruese.

If there are trout in there might try throwing some rapalas or cranks in a trout pattern. east to cast and retrieve and will work with the stocked trout.

good luck

S
Skeeter05
Here's what I do this time of year on Ten Mile......Buzzbaits first thing n the morning, then as soon as the sun is up and bright, I'll throw a top water frog over the top of the pads by the boat ramp and a top water popper on the edges of the Lilypads. Frogs on the pads will work all day, so try it every now and then. Throw a 5" or 7" Zipper worm (Green Pumpkin or Watermelon) on pilings that are away from the shore in 6-12' of water. The Zipper worms have that Garlic scent already impregnated in them so you don't need to add scent. A Watermelon or Green Pumpin Senko is a good choice as well.

Also throw the plastics to the edges of the pads and let it sink to the bottom and slowly crawl it away from the edge.

Throw the plastics on the deeper edges of docks as well.

Good luck!

F
FishSchooler
Fast movin stuff in the mornin, like spinnerbaits and buzzbaits and the cranks and plugs, then slllllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwww stuff when the sun is hot and high, like lizards, worms, grubs, etc. Match the color of the water with your baits, green water, green worms, brown water, brown worms, bright water, bright colored worms, dark water, dark colored worms, and so on.

C
colby
fast movin to wake em up? haha, i like the way that works. i read a little about bass fishing on another forum, yes im a traitor. and anyways i heard about bass hanging out right on the edge of currrents for a "conveyor belt" effect to get food. and also they like to chill on the edge of lily pad areas for an ambush. they hate cattails when its windy, and you night time usually has excelent bassin'. correct, right? any tips on night bassin'?

F
FishSchooler
At night, slow movin, like slow, chunky crankbaits, or tandem blade spinnerbaits(two blades), any lure or bait that emits or gives off lots of vibrations and/or scent, bass can't see at night, so they have to smell and feel. So wobbling and slow and spinning is what you want. In line spinners like blue foxes work too, rooster tails can spin fast under slow retrieve.
Also, tenmile has looooooots of points and bays and stuff like that, creek arms too, look for where two points almost touch, with a creek arm in the middle.

F
flippinbaits
colby said:
fast movin to wake em up? haha, i like the way that works. i read a little about bass fishing on another forum, yes im a traitor. and anyways i heard about bass hanging out right on the edge of currrents for a "conveyor belt" effect to get food. and also they like to chill on the edge of lily pad areas for an ambush. they hate cattails when its windy, and you night time usually has excelent bassin'. correct, right? any tips on night bassin'?

you must have been reading bassresource's links ;)... helpful info there.

n e ways, basically all you said were correct. for night bassin, i prefer a 3/4 - 1.5oz black colorado blade spinnerbait. slow roll that puppy along drop offs and weed lines :)

pitching and swimming a jig is also helpful

F
FishSchooler
Just experiment! That is how you catch the most and biggest bass! Sometimes... If you dont get a bite in five minutes on a green, switch to brown, then switch to black, then switch to a grub, then whatever bait or lure you hook your first fish on, give it another 5 minutes, if you get another, then another 5 minutes. keep goin like that! If your gettin really small ones, get a bigger bait or lure, if you catch to many and you're getting bored of the 2 pounders, up size your bait and retrieve a little faster, and deeper.

C
colby
technically, wouldnt a wacky rigged plastic worm attract bigger bass than smaller ones since the action makes it look bigger at the hook where the worm bends?

F
FishSchooler
That depends if you are wacky worming, or texas rigged, or carolina rigged. I never said that wacky worming will attract smaller bass, Im just sayin if you keep gettin small bass on lets say, a 3 inch worm, try a 4 or 5 inch worm, that just might get you a bigger bass

C
colby
yeah. my prev post was more of an out of the blue question, but yeah, i read big bass like big bait. :)

S
Skeeter05
If you want BIG bass, then throw a swimbait! Nothing catches big bass that these lures.

F
FishSchooler
Erm... skeeter, I can't understand your second sentence...

K
kmo
If your thinking about this weekend change your plans big trny there!

S
Skeeter05
Sorry, nothing catches big bass like these baits.(swimbaits)

C
colby
how bad is the fishing going to be durring the tournament?

Last edited: