Going to North Santiam Thursday morning

18406ej
18406ej
I am thinking of being up there by at least 5, starting in the Big Cliff tailrace and working my way down river. If anyone wants to meet up, shoot me a PM. Otherwise, keep an eye out for me...I will be banking it but have on a tan floatation vest (just in case) with "OFF" on the back.

Last edited:
B
bigred
Thursday morning

Thursday morning

5 is too early for that high on the river, I'll start at Lyons and work my way up to you, red chevy truck w/ silver canopy. Lets catch some fish!

Edit: Just watched the videos. I'll bring my camera up if I make it that early. Good luck! (Canopy might be off truck so I can bring some pontoon boats)

Last edited:
B
bigfootfish
Let us know how you do up there guys! Film at 11?

BFF

B
bigred
Santiam Steelhead

Santiam Steelhead

didn't make it to big cliff, caught this 26" at 0930 using pink corkie and worm in about 18" of water. I was just fooling around looking for some trout to fight and he showed up.

L
lilsalmon
Yay...bigred...great lookin catch!!!!!!

18406ej
18406ej
Nice fish, Bigred! You didn't miss much up near Big Cliff. Got there at 5am and saw a lot of big fish, unfortunately all were black or had white head disease, and weren't biting much anyway. Fished from the tailrace gradually down toward Niagra, and had one taker, a whopping 4 incher. I then went to Packsaddle, with the same results. Had one rude angler wade through my casting area as if I weren't even there- even crossed in front of me. It sort of ruined the day.

Plan on being back up there again between tomorrow and Tuesday.

L
lilsalmon
Think I will be hitting the Santiam in the morning....not all the way to the dam though.....I need to fish

B
bigfootfish
bigred said:
didn't make it to big cliff, caught this 26" at 0930 using pink corkie and worm in about 18" of water. I was just fooling around looking for some trout to fight and he showed up.

Nice fish! Now I know what I've been doing wrong. If I want to catch Steelhead, don't go Steelhead fishing. Target their smaller? cousins!! Actually, I've hooked more Steelhead trout fishing over the years than if I target Steelhead. Again, that's a nice fish, bigred!
That looks like the river near Mehama, bigred.

BFF

B
bigred
Yeah, it's about a mile and a half above the bridge, nothing but small trout this morning. There's always tonight :)