Going to Metolius but never fished there...help plz

T
troutfisherman
i was thinking about going to the metolius river this weekend !! not sure how i will do but im willing to gamble on it !!!:cool: but i was wondering if anybody knw any good spots they would like to share ??? i never when fishing there yet !!!! please any help would be great thank you !!!

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
I like it down by the bridge myself.

L
lilsalmon
yep

S
steelhead_slayer
that's what i was going to say

M
markasd
Such good water, you wont have any problem finding spots... too many to just go to one and hang there. The bridge is good - gets hammered though. I like a couple spots just up from the lake - some really good water up from the hatchery - just follow the trail on the West side.. you'll make sense of it. The place is BEAUTIFUL!
Let us know how ya did!

T
troutfisherman
thanks guys ill report on how i do this weekend !!!!

F
FishFiddle
I'm sure you are up on the regs. but be sure to pinch the barbs. The water tends to be pretty fast in a lot of places so weighted flies and a dropper work well. I don't think you can use external weight (other than the fly). Leaders are a catch 22 in that the water is really clear so you need a light leader but if you hook one of those Bulls you will wish you were set up for steelhead! Good Luck! Other input??

B
BigShayne
It is my understanding that in the fly only water there is no external weight allowed. But in the artificial zone it is OK.

REMEMBER... any fish you land out of the Met is a trophy. I personally am happy with two fish every four hours. But that is my oppinion.

B
bigsteel
hit the wizard falls hatchery and hike downstream,several goog holes,,just remember its closed above allingham bridge,but below is unlimited access.

T
troutfisherman
SORRY ABOUT THE SUPER LATE REPORT BUT !!!

my trip to the metolius river was outstanding i didn't go once but twice to the metolius both on the weekend. the first trip it was just me and my girlfriend ! we arrived at camp sherman right around 10am
and we got ready for a nice fishing day !! right at 11 we hit the water and there was a strong BWO hatch going on at that time and the fish were jumping all over that good stuff but we just stuck nymphing cuz we didn't know the hows when it came to the dry fly !! so we started on allingham bridge and i hook my first fish ever on the metolius and it was a white fish !! got it on a prince nymph and a lil bit after that i got a nice lil rainbow trout. after a few hours we headed on down to the wizard falls hatchery ! didn't catch anything after that ! at the end of the day i hooked three fish landed two and one got off ! as for my girlfriend she did managed to land one rainbow trout that was bigger then mine early in the morning but after that no luck at all ! and it was a awsome day nice and sunny with clouds tho and a lil bit of rain. as for the second trip I woke up early as 6:15 so eager and anxious to go got ready then woke up my girlfriend @645 ! But as for this trip i asked my dad if he would like to come with us and he did which was awsome becuz now and days he can't get around as much bcuz he has cancer and his treatment is slowing him down ! so i was pretty excited about that. :) So we left around 830. After we got our breakfast made and lunches packed. Then we was on our way. On our way in it was snowing, it was pretty crazy! Pulled in and got on our waders and hit the water. We was down at Allingham bridge. I start making my way down the river slowly and BOOM I hooked a rainbow, for my first catch of the day. It was a tiny guy but I was still happy for the catch! Haha pretty soon BOOM another fish, this one was a whitefish tho, tiny guy too haha but glad for the catches! My gf tho had no luck there, she was getting her flies tangled up and getting snagged up in the bushes! It was rough fishin in that area. I was the only person able to hook'em . The other anglers I talked to had no luck either. But boy there was a lot of fishers that day, in that spot! Around 1 we headed down to the hatchery and fished all down the river. Neither of us catching any fish, I think I had a few bites but couldn't hook'em. Wasn't too much action for many people but luckily I had a little bit :D mwahaha! Its alotta fun down there tho and we had tons of fun the snow was blowing, the rain was there and the metolius river was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!

M
markasd
Awesome days out on the river... glad you got to hook a few. Pretty addicting.