Going for Salmon Sunday 9/27

J
JSpencer
Im going to head out to the Wilson this coming Sunday in hopes of finally landing a salmon. (I hooked one in spring, never got it to the bank though, i got to fight it for a few minutes, then it hit the current and snapped my line.)

Going to start out down at the guide shop hole i think, then go lower if the prospects arent looking good there. Planning on bringing eggs (store bought, i have yet to land a hen to cure my own yet), sand shrimp, spinners, spoons and a couple of plugs.

Any tips if the fish are there and not biting? Im by no means pro when it comes to salmon.

thanks!
J

H
HANKIII
I fish the trask and wilson every year for those wonderful fall nooks and i dont usually start until october after alittle rain ? But i use eggs and shrinp together and never came home empty handed....

F
Fishtopher
Should be fine if you got shrimp and eggs. Try 'em both solo, if nothin, then try both at the same time. Good luck!

J
JSpencer
Thanks guys, I just picked up a couple salmon sized spinners, i went with a black Blue Fox and a brown/tan Mepps. With the water so low i figured i needed to use some darker spinners, and i didn't have any real dark ones anyway.

Will definitely use shrimp and eggs too.

P
plucas
It has been a few weeks since I was at the Wilson and it has rained since then. However, the river was super low at that time and I can't imagine at his come up a whole lot since then. I would stick low in the river, there are a few nice holes around miles 7-9 where the water is a little deeper (at least you may get some trout and maybe even a late steel). I think it needs to rain quite a bit before coho start heading up river.

I am going to be camping over there this weekend (Friday/Sat night) in the hopes of catching some fish before I get back to school and will most likely spend at least a few hours on the Wilson/Trask and probably the Nehalem as well. Maybe even some jetty fishing will happen. I am gonna try everything possible (even bringing the fly rod) to catch me some keepers. Good luck out there, maybe I'll pass you on the river.

J
JSpencer
Its quite possible if you're there Sunday early a.m.. I'll be the guy with the camo hat and green backpack.

I'll be hitting the guide shop hole first, thats where i saw a few spawned out coho last tuesday. If that doesn't produce anything i'll move lower to Windy Rock and walk the bank lower.

G
GDBrown
You may want to check out the "Hospital Hole" for the fall Nooks! Most of the fish will be holding in the upper bay while they wait for the rains to start. They will come into the upper reaches of the tide with every high tide then move back out as the tide receeds. I have fished there most every fall and usually come home with a nice fish. Check the tides and start at the beginning of High slack tide. Fish until the end of low slack tide, Then go eat or quit for the day. There is camping available right there. It costs $5 or so to get into the pasture but is well worth it.

J
JSpencer
I dont know how to get there honestly. When my buddy gets back from elk hunting we're going to go there (hopefully every weekend in October :D). For now i'll settle for the river ive been stomping since spring.

G
GDBrown
To get to the Hospital hole follow the signs to the Hospital west of downtown Tillamook.... Continue on until you see the green barn on the right, It's just before the small bridge over the Trask river. Turn into the drive by the barn, there is a gate and pay station on the far side of the barn. You are fishing for the giant fall chinook that spawn in the Trask River. These folks open there fields to fishermen every fall and even provide porta potties! It can get to be a party sometimes and when the bite is on, it is fun!

GD

P
plucas
Hey thanks for the info GDBrown. I'll give this a whirl while I am over there.

J
JSpencer
:wall::wall::wall::wall:
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

So, i got skunked again. Thats not to say i didn't hook anything or get any bites...

I get out there nice and early at the guide shop hole, set up a float and hook for a sand shrimp. I toss it out and let it drift around the pool. As it gets a little lighter i get to where i can see bottom. I get up, grab my pole and go to reel it in to try some eggs and i see movement in the water. A pretty nice looking salmon comes up and circles my shrimp. I crouch down and get ready just in case. The fish swims closer and....sucks the shrimp right off my hook. With a bunch of cursing i reel in, grab my other pole and toss a spinner with some smelly jelly on it (already had it all set up).

BAM!! FISH ON!!

Grinning ear to ear i set the hook a couple of times and listen to my drag go crazy. I apply some more pressure and start to reel. SNAP! The line breaks...and the fish swims off down stream.

After that i had no more luck except for a bullhead i accidentally snagged while reeling in some eggs i was trying. Oh well...better luck next time i suppose.

G
GDBrown
"Grinning ear to ear i set the hook a couple of times and listen to my drag go crazy. I apply some more pressure and start to reel. SNAP! The line breaks...and the fish swims off down stream."

Isn't that a thrill though? Were you down by the tree or above in the tail out? Most fish are caught just off the rock on the far bank above the tailout. Water is about as low as it gets right now. The two fish in my avitar photo are from that hole!!!

GD

J
JSpencer
I was down in that pool where the downed tree is to the left of where you walk in from.

Turns out my line was dry rotted. I threw the whole damn spool out. Next payday, if i can swing it im buying some good line. Though that did serve to reinforce my opinions of bringing more than one pole along with me. If i hadn't brought that other pole already set up with a spinner id have just got to see it run off with my sand shrimp and never got to feel the fight for 10-ish seconds.

Last edited:
J
JSpencer
GDBrown said:
You may want to check out the "Hospital Hole" for the fall Nooks! Most of the fish will be holding in the upper bay while they wait for the rains to start. They will come into the upper reaches of the tide with every high tide then move back out as the tide receeds. I have fished there most every fall and usually come home with a nice fish. Check the tides and start at the beginning of High slack tide. Fish until the end of low slack tide, Then go eat or quit for the day. There is camping available right there. It costs $5 or so to get into the pasture but is well worth it.

Ok so this coming weekend im going to hit it up again. I dont have a babysitter so i can't go out early, i have to wait for evening. I was thinking about hitting up the trask hospital hole but my buddy at work says you can't fish there that late...something about the tides.

Seeing as im not very well versed on tidewater//salt water fishing, and i dont know that area, would anybody be able to shed some light on this for me? Im determined to get me a salmon this year, coho or nook. I dont care if i get to keep it or not, i just want to hook and land one.