Give a cat a home?

M

markasd

Gonna be havin' a kid in the near future :D and am going to have to find Batman a home... have to. He's just over 5, fixed indoor outdoor, mouser - birder lover!

If you know of a good home, he's awesome...

Thanks for looking.

J

JeannaJigs

I openly have a huge amount of disdain for the feline species, but that's a rad lookin cat. you will have no trouble finding batman a home.

My mother is a cat collector, I swear, she has like a dozen cats...if I find this cat added to her collection...

She must never see this.

M

markasd

Dogfriendly

Dogfriendly

He's good with Simon.. I'll try to put up some pics of him and Simon.

N

Noahk

Gonna be havin' a kid in the near future :D and am going to have to find Batman a home... have to. He's just over 5, fixed indoor outdoor, mouser - birder lover!

If you know of a good home, he's awesome...

Thanks for looking.
Does he eat babies? Good looking cat

C

ChezJfrey

Does he eat babies? Good looking cat

While there can be many reason's for markasd's decision, I have an anecdote.

I know cats...I've had a few over the course of many years. My favorite was a male I had since his entire body fit in my hand and he was the most mellow, gentle cat of them all. He was around for the birth of all three of my kids. While my children learned to crawl, walk and explore their surroundings, he would inevetably get grabbed and tugged by curious, young hands. This of course resulted in many handfuls of his fur getting tugged out and he took it like a champ; he never hissed, snapped or lashed back, but would instead just slowly saunter off to somewhere quieter; he was super patient with young children.

One day, the cat was intently staring out a window and my youngest (my boy, aged 3 at the time...cat was age 12) was playing with some toy about 5 feet away from the cat, minding his own business. Suddenly, the cat just went berserk...he lept from the window sill and pounced on the head/neck of my young boy, biting and clawing furiously...screams and blood gushed forth.

The aftermath was gruesome...the floor, clothing and cat fur soaked in blood and gaping wounds throughout the scalp and face of my poor child. My cat had never even swatted or hissed at another human being to this point in his entire 12 year life; there was never an indication that something like this could happen. But, something terrible happened that day.

From what I understand, sometimes a cat can get so aroused by some small animal's movement or something (even outside the window), that a simple, sudden movement in their peripheral vision can trigger a vicious, attacking response in even the mellowest of cat.

I had this cat since before I was married and my wife wanted to put him down. I couldn't bring myself to do it, so he lived out the remainder of his life (he passed at age 15, a little over a year ago) in the garage since he had no idea how to fend for himself outdoors at that point in his life.

I don't know the specifics of markasd's reasoning, but the question of 'Does he eat babies?' can be irrelevant as my cat had never given an indication that he would attack like that. Animals are animals and sometimes they react out of pure instinct; they are unpredictable.

Good luck finding a home for Batman, markasd; he's a great looking cat.

Last edited:
N

Noahk

I was only joking. Batman looks like my cat Donut who was pretty much evil and I’m sure he would have gone after a small child. I got him from the shelter when he was about year and I’m not sure what was done to him before but he was a handful. I think he had some separation issues. He’d attack people, attack the other cat and pee on my things when he was mad or had been left for too long. His favorite thing to do with visitors was to get on the back of the couch and head-butt them. Which was cute until he sank a claw into their head and bit down hard. I ended up finding a great home for him where there was always someone home and he’s been doing great there. They’ve described him as a “perfect little angel” which is incredible as I was convinced it was the anti-Christ. The right environment is important and I wish mark all the luck in finding him a good home.

Last edited:
C

ChezJfrey

I was only joking.

No worries, I wasn't offended or anything...I just thought maybe you were wondering, in a joking-type manner, if the cat was a bit wild or something and might accidentally hurt a child. My point was that you can't always tell even if the animal is quite mellow.

D

DB Crouper

Many years ago , in my youth, we had a black cat named Dingle. He often sat on a room divider, about 4 1/2 feet tall, between our living room and kitchen. He would act nonchalant, then given the opportunity, lash out, claws extended, to the head or neck of any young person who happened by within his reach. My brother and I would get rambunctious at times, and forget to give a wide berth to Dingle's attack position, and end up with a bloody reminder to steer clear.
Eventually our father took Dingle to work (logger) one day, and apparently Dingle liked it there, because he never came home.

S

Slick

Eventually our father took Dingle to work (logger) one day, and apparently Dingle liked it there, because he never came home.
That happened to me too. One summer my mother sent all four of us kids to visit our father. After we got airborne I found out I was the only one with a one way ticket. True story.

N

Noahk

No worries, I wasn't offended or anything...I just thought maybe you were wondering, in a joking-type manner, if the cat was a bit wild or something and might accidentally hurt a child. My point was that you can't always tell even if the animal is quite mellow.
Yeah your story was actually pretty scary.

M

markasd

Whoa - pretty gnarly Chez. Really Slick? Dang dude....
We hate to get rid of him, I teared up at the thought as I hand picked the dude from a "wild" bunch.. they were barn cats and he loved Simon for some reason.. soon as the little dude could walk - he chinned up to Simon who at the time was 80 pounds of young-stud black lab! I have numerous picks of these two hangin' out on Simons bed... man I hate to have to part with him - eff'n hate it.
He's never really gone off on any one, more the other cat Crystal he messes with from time to time until the "referee" steps in... (Simon).

Noah - some of what Chez mentioned is of concern to the wife. I hadn't given it much thought really, but then I don't want to be on the road and get a call from the wife sayin' somethin' along the lines of what Chez described...

It is what it is and its the way it has to be. Any thoughts for other avenues for a home?

Thanks again folks