Gill net boat explodes

Y

youngbuck307

:lol: So dont know much about it just seen it on the news... guy was out fishing and his nets were out... he went to bring them in and hit a switch to start bringing in his gear... well made a spark witch some how got to some fumes and BOOM lol sorry not funny guy got hurt but maybe god was telling him to stop:clap::clap: well got the point across guy will be in the hospital for a while but will be ok.... Kodiak maybe my prayers where herd when i could make it to the meating:think: well that boat wont be on the water any more he didn't have insurace. and the new was part way on the boat so its not going to be a gost net too......

Last edited:
M

Markcanby

OOOO NOOO what did Troutier Bassier dooo!

K

Kodiak

Banned User
When the Attorney said we are like the IRA and the others like shin fien he ment it figureatively....TB you are way to young to go to prison...but glad to see you did well on the "accidental explosion" section of your training.:clap:.

Here's a link to the story and a pic of the boat...TB..way to make sure the net was on board and the boat stayed floating...thats like 97out of 99 training points..keep up the good work and we'll promote you private one day.http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sherif...osion&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=29

Last edited:
A

Anyfishisfine

I hope everyone here has a good alibi, LOL.

Sucks he got hurt, hope he finds a new line of work. Karma is a real biach.

R

rainman

I hope everyone here has a good alibi, LOL.

Sucks he got hurt, hope he finds a new line of work. Karma is a real biach.

I was fishing with 17 of my best friends, tho it might of been my evil twin brother.:lol:

M

meluvtrout

What's wrong with you people?

What's wrong with you people?

:mad:
I'm embarrassed with the attitude of some of you guys here, especially Kodiak who's a sponsor as well as a moderator now! Not supporting gill netting is one thing, but how can you be glad that a person's, perhaps only source of income is gone and he doesn't have a way to replace it? You don't know if he has kids! You don't know if he has mortgage to pay! You don't know what he and his family has to go through now.

What you have just done is a perfect example for immature and thoughtless act that I wouldn't expect from an OFF member.

Shame on you guys...

Admin

Admin

Admin
+1 on this one. I personally believe that fishing with nets should be prohibited. But as long as it is legal they have right to do it. No matter if we like it or not.

A

autofisher

I hate to say it....

I hate to say it....

But I agree with mlt up there. I've been in the guys position. Not with fishing but with repoing. No one wants to see a repo man taking thier car. I'm sure a lot of people have wished me harm, and there's a few that tried to cause me harm. The truth of the matter is, for most of us we do what we have to do to support our families. It's not like I chose to be a repo man. I did it because it was the best way to support my family. If this guy has a family and that was his best way to support them, they're screwed. I don't agree with the gill nets but I also don't agree with someone getting hurt and forum member's relishing in the fact that someone's life just took a major downswing. What if someone had blown up my truck and you guys didn't like what I did for a living, would you clap and cheer cause there's one less repo man out there?

C

chris61182

I don't think comparing a repo man to a gill netter on the basis of people's dislike for them is a good approach. Unlike a gill netter, a repo man is restoring balance to a resource (credit) not removing the resource. The fight against gill netters is because they're raping and pillaging a resource into extinction. Two totally different things, on the case of morals the problem falls with the gill netter or the person who's living beyond their means, not the repo man.

Y

youngbuck307

meluvtrout..... well sorry you feel that way maybe you should read how we all said something about the guy getting hurt wasn't cool or glad he was ok..... And i have family who does gill netting for a living and if this happend to them i would point and laugh!!!! I dont like what they do and wish anything could happen to stop it.... and o no maybe he souldnt of been a gill netter in the first place just one of the risks of the jobs..... and whos falt is it he is on the water HIS so he got what was comming to him....

F

FishFinger

I second the notion that as long as it's a legal practice, they have the right to do it.

Personally, I have been wrestling with this subject for a while now. I have friends who once were a netting family, though they don't do it currently.

After many long discussions with them I believe a lot of pertinent information is not part of the overall debate.

In many ways the Columbia river gill netters are large part of why we even have a Chinook run at all. They as a group were the first to establish a hatch box program to re introduce fish in to the system during the early 90's during the lean years when the Columbia was closed to salmon retention.

As well they attempted to set up rearing pens in Youngs Bay only to have them vandalized allowing the fish to escape. Even today there is still a return of chinook to youngs bay as a legacy of their efforts.

I'm not trying to champion the gill netters cause rather just bring some info to the debate. Not all "netters" are evil nor should "we" revel in the misfortunes of others trying to make a living in tough economic times.

Just another thought to chew on...

Gill netters are commercial fishermen, aren't guides and charter fishermen also "commercial" fisherman? They make their money on harvesting the resource as well. I have seen techniques used in the pursuit of limiting out on clipped fish, that leave many non clipped fish terribly damaged before they are pitched back into the ocean.

No one is perfect in this situation and IMHO the only really way to impact gill netting would be to get all your friends, family, & relations who don't fish to stop buying salmon dinners and fish from the stores. As long as a demand exists there is going to be a market for it.

Y

youngbuck307

Sorry everyone has a chose!!!! maybe if you went to school you wouldnt have to run some nets or repo cars so Sorry but it is you chose what you did with your life!!!! no one tells you you have to... you did it because of pay so you chosed to do it.....

Last edited:
O

osmosis

Guides and charter boats are NOT commercial fishermen! They are sportsmen and are the best voice our side of this battle has.

Maybe at one point in time they helped contribute smolts to the columbia, but last I heard they put in 2% of the smolt and demand 50% of the adults...

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
"it is you chose what you did with your life!!!! no one tells you you have to"

Well let's see for some of us this is very true we had a choice Army, Navy, Marines or Air Force. Oh yes and there was someone who tells you you have too. But of course that was a generation ago and I'm glad I served. Seriously sometimes there are life situations that dictate a persons life path. Sometimes it's parental guidence sometimes it's family income. Some folks drop out of school to help their families, this was very common during the depression. A mans occupation is no measure of his character. What ever the reason I agree with all of you that it regretfull that this young man was seriously burned and in a lot of pain. I hope he has a successfull recovery irrrespective of my views on gill netting.

M

meluvtrout

meluvtrout..... well sorry you feel that way maybe you should read how we all said something about the guy getting hurt wasn't cool or glad he was ok..... And i have family who does gill netting for a living and if this happend to them i would point and laugh!!!! I dont like what they do and wish anything could happen to stop it.... and o no maybe he souldnt of been a gill netter in the first place just one of the risks of the jobs..... and whos falt is it he is on the water HIS so he got what was comming to him....

youngbuck, I believe this is what you are referring to:

I'm glad the guy is OK. ....Muhahhh ahhhh ahh.:shock::pray::think:

As far as your comment goes for your family member : I'm speechless!

Y

youngbuck307

Yes i Think we all wish that the guy gets better!!!!!!! But i hope maybe this will open his eyes and he will maybe see the other side of things...... yea some people are forced to go into serving our country and others made a chose to go to jail and not fight (not saying thats ok if your country needs you you better step up) and yes some people do have to drop out of school to support family I am one of them! but it doesn't mean i have no say in what i do with my life yea might be a lil hard to get a job as a CEO or something like that but just because i was faced with obsticals you can over come them the right way or wrong.... i could of started selling drugs or did ripping off cars I evan could of been on a boat netting fish .... but i thought it was wrong so i worked hard to get a where i am today..... that guy got on that boat because he wanted to...... no one told him he had to do it..... payback is a @#%$&