Gilbert River sturgeon fishing

M
mustardthetrout
Since I knew everyone else would still probably be busy trying to squeeze in one last fall salmon, I decided to go hit the Gilbert River to see if any sturgeon were biting. I love fishing this river; it's small, secluded, in a great setting, rarely is crowded (except for one time a group of bank fishermen had a contest to see who could hit "the guy in the boat" first), and is loaded with sturgeon of all sizes.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/mail.google.com\/mail\/u\/0\/?ui=2&ik=704870d936&view=fimg&th=150ee3fa4eb6d66b&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=2b90d0816dd7d7d1_0.1&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_lsU0yQbfOh6ImhTEaZ6JNqwk8VFas18KraDrJYLEe7ieCJ_zxstCLQrQhLc8MHfwyULn5BJw8HlEC6Qd8-Jm7nLu7s0alzewdx9S9vDaWnFMJRci2n-DqfzY&ats=1447214914769&rm=150ee3fa4eb6d66b&zw&sz=w1342-h547"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/mail.google.com\/mail\/u\/0\/?ui=2&ik=704870d936&view=fimg&th=150ee3f1b65227b2&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=64dbc7f5f4a607bc_0.1&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-frftbxcWJY3ni8uzkbGhM5V_SyE81rBDXZAS0SCOPMDmTsjpoaW0OqbWuQu4WPJSbF612xeIc9VAB9qtSUVkFQsivZxvM2eHxHsw7qFaBIfYUsk3WyvHIliQ&ats=1447214914883&rm=150ee3f1b65227b2&zw&sz=w1342-h547"}[/IMG2]

The one problem I have with this river is the difficulty in accessing the good sturgeon holes. The fishing gets better closer to where it drains into sturgeon lake, but the only accessible boat ramp I can think of is at the other end of the river where it drains into the Multnomah Channel. As a result, paddling all the way down and back is very "Heart of Darkness" and I wish there was an easier way to launch closer to sturgeon lake. I know you can launch in the lake itself, but it's closed to fishing and I'm worried people would get the wrong idea if they saw me with rods.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/mail.google.com\/mail\/u\/0\/?ui=2&ik=704870d936&view=fimg&th=150ee3f1b65227b2&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1939368cf0a4988f_0.1&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-zdZFJQa04ZIe5-qQolmVDXTYc22XDZmn5ItQoPOyZx9jTTrJ4TFvj99Z_vFGYoYKkSLEWCVbnnvUJhir13vPyhSBaTmK0ctdLbhaEqCYFuvhBGSV39RlrQ7I&ats=1447214914883&rm=150ee3f1b65227b2&zw&sz=w1342-h547"}[/IMG2]

The fishing was very good though; lots of oversize fish and shakers. In the shallow Gilbert River they also fight very well, with most of the fish jumping at least once. All of the fish were caught on smelt, anchovies, and pickled herring. I lost three good ones in the same submerged tree stump, so when I hooked the last fish of the day I immediately towed it downstream of the snag so I could have a better chance at landing it. Just as well, as that fish ended up being a nine footer and the biggest one of the day! I couldn't get a decent picture of it because my camera died and I had to use my crappy phone camera, but you can still get an idea of its size.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/mail.google.com\/mail\/u\/0\/?ui=2&ik=704870d936&view=fimg&th=150ee3f1b65227b2&attid=0.5&disp=inline&realattid=5240aaff4cb1b91f_0.1&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_SV9qZ1k5OeqZ3gXZjz5ns1nY099uujw_0uMb52HbIp9LWW5st4z_3KrmTIZKdl4GLjZ7-W7cGpD2Jl6xRxcggg9ntIauDm7SusZ86xqCEHJx2B7n-9-q-Hdg&ats=1447214914883&rm=150ee3f1b65227b2&zw&sz=w1342-h547"}[/IMG2]

I always have bad luck with posting pictures on this forum. It seems like every time there's some sort of a problem and I have to resubmit them. Hopefully this time they'll show. Anyways, great day of fishing!

• IMG_2171.jpg
  • IMG_2161.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bass
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Wow, it sounds like an epic day on the water! :thumb: I don't know why some of the pics didn't show, I would have liked to see them. Maybe send Anatoliy a pm and see if he has any answers. Thanks for sharing.

bass
bass
Looks like a really fun day!

I am not sure if it is open with a lot of Sauvies Island being closed but there is a parking lot at Big Eddy (45.743311, -122.815406). Just downstream of the dock a little big the bank is a bit collapsed and there somewhat steep bank that you can launch from. I did the pedal from the mouth all the up and back this past summer and that was a long trip - especially fighting the tide both ways (duh on my part).

Thanks again for the report.

B
Billamicasr
These photos may help you find a good place to launch if you don't mind a sloping mud bank. Water is initially about 2-3 feet then drops off very quickly; take care launching; if you are wearing a dry-suit, no big deal, if not and you step off into the hole, you'll get very wet quickly.

sauviehow4261510.jpg sauvieisland1.jpg sauvieisland2.jpg sauvieisland3.jpg sauvieisland4.jpg
Photos lifted from Google Earth (of course).

bass
bass
Do you know if this parking area is open now? If it is in the wildlife area (as I suspect it is) then it is closed to the general public from Oct 1 to Apr 30.

I called about the Big Eddy parking area and it is closed to the public from Oct 1 to Apr 30.

B
Billamicasr
The parking area at roads end is definitely in the Wildlife Area. The photo below is the sign about half way to that parking spot. I had understood there was closures as far as going off the road, but didn't realize the whole place shut down. Logical though, even if for no other reason than to protect the dirt (mud) road. I visited in late April and again in June of this year with Heroes on the Water for an event; made the maps so everyone could find the place. The dirt road section had several muddied areas on both visits; maybe seepage from the waterfowl areas close by. I would think some of the road is underwater at this point with the rain.

I believe I recall at least one or maybe two open gates. If those were on the dirt road, they are possibly closed and locked if it is shut down.

Those who will consider a sturgeon trip next year may wish to D/L one of the maps to help find this at another time.

sauviehow42615153.jpg

bass
bass
Thanks for the update and the earlier posting of the maps. I know that the Gilbert river launch is open year round but I am not sure if one is allowed to go up the river while the wildlife area is closed. I will probably call and ask that question.

Have you ever launched at Big Eddy? There is a spot there that looks like it is probably similar to the spot you launched from but it is only a 100' or so from the Big Eddy parking area.

B
Billamicasr
The only place I've been on Sauvie Island is the spot mentioned in the Wildlife area. I hope to get the chance next April or May to visit again. I'll have to do a Google search to find "Big Eddy". Love to compile maps and catalog them for possible future use.

Let us know if the Fishing overlords allow us in the Gilbert River near the wildlife area. While I was there earlier this year I watched three youngsters and one old guy bringing in some nice catfish. Looked like they were having a bunch of fun.

B
Billamicasr
Sorry Mustardthetrout... Sort of hi-jacked this thread with info about Sauvie Island. I'll start a new thread.