Giant steelie!!!

troutdude

Don't see too many of these, anymore. What a BEAST! :yikes:

Congrats!!??Tom Jordon as he boated this bruiser of a steelhead today! and after putting the tape to this trophy it read 40 inches long and with a 23 1/2 in girth! Tipping the scales close to 27 pounds! A True giant of the Olympic Peninsula! Forks, WA.

Giant Steelhead.jpg

Raincatcher

Saw this posted on Facebook yesterday in my general newsfeed. It got a ton of angry, rude and insulting comments. Let's not go there on the forum. One member has already gotten a one day ban to cool off because he made an insulting comment.

I am not sure why people think its okay to judge others for keeping fish. The laws are in place, and what this gentleman did was legal. There should be no issue, but I see that a lot, on a lot of different forums and especially FB. I mentioned the whole social media phenomenon in one of my recent posts where with anonymity, people are somehow inclined to be a police society and judge others rampantly. Nice to see the moderators make a call on this.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited:

troutdude

Good point RC; I saw those comments on Facebook too. The bottom line is, it is HIS fish. So he gets to choose, what to do with it. I've never gotten one, over 20. So I sure the heck WOULD keep one, that's over 25 pounds. And I wouldn't give a damn, what anyone else thought about it!

Ha ha. You, and I, were typing at the same time Mr. GFish!

Anatoliy

Admin
Some people have class and some don't. Snopro made his statement in classy way without an attempt to offend or insult.
You're a role model, Snopro!)

Stonefish

Legal to take but I wish he had released it.
After July 1st the regs change and no more retention of wild steelhead on the OP.
Hopefully enough fish hit the gravel in years to come that the runs out there start to rebound.
SF

hobster

Ok, I know it's legal but I still wish he would have followed your tag line advice. Kind of ironic.
Well stated. I can't blame the guy, but the fish is kinda dark. It would be a shame to kill a wild that big, take it out of the genepool and have pale meat. Not judging anyone just stating an opinion, to make things clear.

eugene1

Well stated. I can't blame the guy, but the fish is kinda dark. It would be a shame to kill a wild that big, take it out of the genepool and have pale meat. Not judging anyone just stating an opinion, to make things clear.
Agree with you and Snopro 100%.

Heck of a fish.

Snopro

MGF has some good thoughts for discussion.

I am not sure why people think its okay to judge others for keeping fish.
The laws are in place, and what this gentleman did was legal.
You can't please everyone. I'm sure we can all think of legal things we don't do because of our personal belief system. No need for examples, this discussion would probably head downhill fast. The great thing is we have the right to express how we feel......and others have the right to disagree. In this case I think many have. Someone was stoked to have killed a large wild steelhead, many people wish it would have stayed in the river, and both sides have the right to express those views. Cool thing.

There should be no issue, but I see that a lot, on a lot of different forums and especially FB. I mentioned the whole social media phenomenon in one of my recent posts where with anonymity, people are somehow inclined to be a police society and judge others rampantly.
I read your post on social media, and the post that lead you there. I don't belong to FB. It sounds like it can be a nasty place.

I think humans are hardwired to try and sway people to our side in an argument. Some try and do it with logic, others with emotion.

pinstriper

I'm asking out of ignorance, but do we know enough about steelhead biology to know how many times they can cycle from ocean to river and spawning ? I think I understand its more than once, but is it 2, 3, 10 times ? What is their lifespan and can we look at this fish and assess where it was in that span ?

I'm just wondering if such a fish is more like that old buck deer or bull elk that is both a trophy animal (dislike that term) but also has spent all his energy fighting his way to the top and going through the rut and isn't in shape to survive the winter - his contribution to the gene pool is done. At least that is what I have read.

If that's the case then there's no reason to bemoan someone keeping that fish. If.

One would hope someone who knows was the one who determined the regulation. That's kind of what we have to assume.

That fish would have been in my smoker in a heatbeat! Pale meat still smokes pretty well. I have a smoked fish problem though. I'm trying to kick it but I just cant......:lol:

eugene1

I'm asking out of ignorance, but do we know enough about steelhead biology to know how many times they can cycle from ocean to river and spawning ? I think I understand its more than once, but is it 2, 3, 10 times ? What is their lifespan and can we look at this fish and assess where it was in that span ?
Steelhead can spawn multiple times and this varies in different basins. There was a study up in BC on the Skeena river that showed many life histories. One fish was aged at 12 years and made 7 spawning runs (or something similar). The age and migration pattern can be observed in rings in the scales and otolith.

Stonefish

Pinstriper,
I sent an email to a long time WDFW steelhead fisheries biologist a few years back regarding your question on repeat spawning of steelhead.
If I remember correctly, he said 10-15% or so of the fish return to spawn a second time. Most die after spawning. I think it would be possible but rare for them to spawn a third time.
The rigors of spawning takes a pretty good toll on them.
If I can find the email I'll update this post.
SF

Top Bottom