Ghetto downrigger weight

C
Charlie_merrifi
I understand it's not a proper downrigger ball so please no just buy a real one comments. I am very broke and will get them when I can. My question is if I can tie this on well enough could it work. It's only 5 pounds but best I can come up with. What would be a good knot it's hanging by a metel cable
ab627dd7.png

E
everett464
Very little experience with downriggers here, but I say good on ya.

I think as long as you use a good release clip, you should be fine.

As far as a knot. I would think you would be better off by trying to attach some sort of bracket around the handle with an eye to attach the line to.

Maybe a hose clamp with a tiny keyring underneath it (between the weight and the clamp).

D
dude young
That's perfect. I was hoping you'd come up with that on your own. A knot won't hold in a wire cable. Try this... ...First, slip a piece of shrink wrap over your cable (two or three inches), make a tight loop around the weight handle with the wire then wrap the tag end around the running line several times. Slide the shrink wrap down the line over the wraps and heat it up until it grips. That should hold the weight under normal conditions, but if it gets hung up, would slip before it drags your boat under.

Now, just get yourself a clothes pin for a release and you are all set.

T
Thuggin4Life
looking good and ghetto bro. now you just need to take your set up out and fish next to a $30,000 and out fish them. little boats always get more fish.

C
Charlie_merrifi
Where should I hook the release

E
everett464
Well if you use a setup like i suggested above, you can put a swivel directly to the keyring, and then attach the release directly above it.

D
dude young
Thuggin4Life said:
looking good and ghetto bro. now you just need to take your set up out and fish next to a $30,000 and out fish them. little boats always get more fish.

Fo-shizzle

C
Charlie_merrifi
Would a hose clamp hold up

E
everett464
I should think so, its not doing much.

C
Charlie_merrifi
A clothes pin release huh would that hold enough to put a little bend in it.

F
fishnquest
lol. Thats awesome. I love it. What are you fishing for, salmon in the ocean? The clothespin idea is awesome too. Will it work you ask. I say try it and find out. A little creativity goes a long way. If its not strong enough, how about wrapping a rubber band around it. Go get 'em and good luck with your creation.
What are you going to do with a hose clamp?

Last edited:
C
Charlie_merrifi
Around the wieght with a key ring to attach the cable

F
fishnquest
I don't get it; seems like extra parts. Why not just wrap the cable around the barbell like you have it and crimp the cable to itself?

C
Charlie_merrifi
Then I can remove the weight when not in use

F
fishnquest
Oh. ok. ty.