Get ready to catch literally "monsters"

H
halibuthitman
remember the 2,9999,99999,5867 gazillion gallons of crude oil the deep sea horizon spilled off the south east coast.. you know, the spill that would tarnish the face of the earth forever.. take eons to recover from.... hmmm seen any oil lately? the ocean can absorb far more than anyone can imagine.................

D
Denduran87
true but oil does cut through matter like a hot knife in butter. Things that get irradiated stay irradiated for a very long time, and continue to emmit radiation. A rock that gets irradiated and falls into the ocean continues to emit radiation. This will be extremely bad for our fish it will just take time to see how bad!

B
beaverfan
It's all about dilution, there should be very minimal effects on the U.S. including Hawaii, Alaska and all the other Pacific Islands. The Japanese are just now admitting to how much radiation is being released but the U.S. has been saying it all along so it's nothing new. Outside of the local areas to the reactors this shouldn't have a that big of an impact. We will see though.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm waiting to taste my first radiated fish!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'm no where near a nuclear scientist so I was just wondering how this compared to all the nuclear testing that's been going on since 1945 and the effects of Chernobly. I know there have been over 2000 nuke test world wide and the U.S. has conducted 331 atmospheric tests.

There has not been a meltdown yet in Japan. I think it might be good to hang tight, see what developes and come to a conclusion based on actual facts. Just going off what has happened in Japan and the history of past nuclear events I would venture to say the Pacific Northwest Salmon should be safe. If the facts in Japan should change then a re-evaluation might be in order.

I do hope, that for the sake of folks over in Japan, they are able to get controll of the plants. It is a serious situation for them.

Last edited:
D
Denduran87
Irishrover said:
I'm no where near a nuclear scientist so I was just wondering how this compared to all the nuclear testing that's been going on since 1945 and the effects of Chernobly. I know there have been over 2000 nuke test world wide and the U.S. has conducted 331 atmospheric tests.

There has not been a meltdown yet in Japan. I think it might be good to hang tight, see what developes and come to a conclusion based on actual facts. Just going off what has happened in Japan and the history of past nuclear events I would venture to say the Pacific Northwest Salmon should be safe. If the facts in Japan should change then a re-evaluation might be in order.

Nuclear bombs actually defuse radiation very quickly, don't get me wrong there are still is radiation in the areas that they are set off but nothing compared to a nuclear meltdown like in chernobyl. Chernobyl is still emmiting radiation and if they don't build a new casing on it it will soon be happening all over. You still can't eat deer or boar from surrounding areas with out getting it tested first for radiation. I hope they get it under control but even if they bury it like chernobyl it is right there on the ocean front there is no way they can keep it out of the pacific if it goes into a meltdown.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I see where they have cracks in the Chernobly site and they need to re cap it to stop the venting. I do hope as you do that Japan get's this under control.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I'm not terribly concerned - the reactor at Fukushima is a completely different design than the Russian reactor at Chernobyl. While the Fukukshima plants might emit lethal doses of radiation to their immediate area - radioactive particles and dust will be so dispersed by the time it hits US soil that nothing will come of it. People are still living on Bikini Atol (in fact, it's been kind of a popular fishing destination for at least a decade - big bonefish down that way).

The Russians detonated the largest nuclear device ever - a 50 megaton weapon - and radiation levels here in the US never approached hazardous.

When Chernobyl exploded - not even Alaska saw dangerous levels of radiation.

Not everything exposed to radiation stays radioactive either. It also don't slice though everything like a hot knife - that's why concrete, steel, and lead are used when building shelters against radiation, or constructing containment vessels. Yes, radiation will zip right through most organic matter, and yes with enough exposure, it hangs around - but the damage done usually isn't from it sticking around, so much as it causing damage to your cells as it passes through you or enters you. Damaged cells then produce damaged cells - and thus - cancer happens. Cancer is what kills most people exposed to radiation - not the radiation itself. That's why certain types of radiation are used to fight cancer - it kills the cancer cells and prevents them from reproducing.

The type of radioactivity we would see in the US is not the same radiation that is potentially a killer overseas - we're going to see more radioactive dust - which is actually pretty easy to decontaminate - as far as NBC stuff goes.

The ocean is, as said before, remarkably better at handling messes than we think. Mother nature has been dealing with disasters for a looooong time - without man kind's help. There are natural oil vents all over the world - yet we don't see tar balls washing up everywhere, or deformed fishies everywhere. Yes, occasionally something really bad happens that causes problems. Happens naturally, or - in more recent geological terms - man kind steps on our collective johnson and mother nature still takes care of things.

The greenie weenie hug-a-tree hippies that want everyone shoved into electric wind and solar powered cars and busses don't bother to study natural earth cycles - and they blame climate change on mankind. That's a lot of bunk right there - the earth goes through heating and cooling cycles naturally. Man kind didn't cause the ice ages, and man kind didn't cause global warming that melted the ice and gave us our lakes and rivers of today. To think that man kind will play a major part in the earth's overall climate is being very hubristic as a species - we're just not that danged important in mother nature's eyes. That's not to say we haven't done ecological damage - no, we have really ****ed some things up. But they all get taken care of in time - with or without man kind's help.

Mother nature will take care of any radioactive material that finds it's way into her oceans. It's not going to cause every fish that swims to spout three eyes, a spare tail, or grow legs and turn into godzilla. We'll be fine.

If you want to look at relatively short term effects - look at the economic effects of this disaster - they will be a lot more prevalent than any problems from radiation anyone outside of Japan will face. I'll bet you that the price of the hippie's much loved Prius jumps by the end of the year.

H
halibuthitman
3 eyes? finally a fish that can spot my presentation! veeery Niiiiiiiiiiicceee!

A
Anyfishisfine
What's unfortunate is that these are all solved problems. This is like someone getting killed in an old car without seat belts and as a result condemning cars despite the fact they (seat belts) have been standard equipment for 30 years. New plants self-cool. It blows my mind that they had a dependency on the grid for this thing and left the generators where they could get swamped. Why no gravity-fed water system? Tsunami is a Japanese word for a reason. The good news is that we know now exactly what it takes to survive a worse-case, and can build for that.

Also, what I don't get is why they couldn't fly in new generators. I think, and I base this partly on having lived there for almost 7 years and having a tremendous respect for them, that their culture might have bit them. It won't allow them to ask for help even though they are obviously way over their heads. You know some industry out there has generators they could have used, and the Russians could have lifted it with that giant helicopter they have. They are just too proud to ask. All they help they are getting right now is pretty much getting forced on them.

At this point I think they are getting the help and advice they need and it will be contained.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
halibuthitman said:
3 eyes? finally a fish that can spot my presentation! veeery Niiiiiiiiiiicceee!

Hm - maybe you can start selling bifocals to fish, before the radiation gets to them and sprouts that third eye.

troutdude
troutdude
GungasUncle said:
The greenie weenie hug-a-tree hippies that want everyone shoved into electric wind and solar powered cars and busses don't bother to study natural earth cycles - and they blame climate change on mankind. That's a lot of bunk right there - the earth goes through heating and cooling cycles naturally.

Gotta love them eco-weanies. NOT!!!

T
todd_brooks
It never ceases to amaze me home some folks know more about global climate change than 99% of the worlds scientists that have spent their lives studying such things. Thats all this tree hugger can say about that. I'm going to bed now so I can kill some fish tomorrow.

H
halibuthitman
todd_brooks said:
It never ceases to amaze me home some folks know more about global climate change than 99% of the worlds scientists that have spent their lives studying such things. Thats all this tree hugger can say about that. I'm going to bed now so I can kill some fish tomorrow.
he he... science is a goulash.. that nobody uses the same recipe for, mostly becouse the cooks left out any stats that didn't jive with their hypothesis, this problem is about arrogance... and the old sayings a cup of prvention is worth a pound of cure.. of course for a cure you need all the scientists to agree on the disease... failing to prepare, is preparing to fail... and that is arrogance-

M
markasd
failing to prepare, is preparing to fail... and that is arrogance-

Nicely put...

T
tomriker
one word for you guys... GODZILLA! watch out, he's coming

H
hawgin
lol

N
nwkiller
maybe it will be spyderman style.....we eat a fish that is packed full of radiation, and we will gain fish super powers and know exactly what they are thinking!!!!!!!!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Or we'll all turn into Flipper