Get out of the nursery

F
frodog
When I was a kid my grandpa would take me sturgeon fishing and we almost always got into keepers and tons of shakers. It has been over fifteen years since then and now I am starting to get into it myself, but have been unsuccessful in many outings even hooking a sturgeon, until yesterday my cousin and I managed to get eleven to the boat all shakers with one about half inch short. I was fishing on the Willy near downtown and was wondering where are the keepers? I am not asking for secert honey holes but some general idea of some decent area to fish. Thanks for any input.

M
metalmania
All the gators are headed for the coast:D. Give the Saint Johns bridge area a try, that seems to be where there doin the best on the willy.

F
frodog
I was afraid of that response. I was fishing up from St. Johns yesterday and now my cousin refers to the spot as the mother goose hole. My boat isn't really upto fishing Astoria I tried three weeks ago off Tonge pt. and saw everyone around catchin all day but I was restricted to smoother waters on the land side of the shipping channel. I need more anchor line and possibly a heavier anchor or the out going tide I was having a very hard time setting up. Thanks for the info.

H
halibuthitman
I would try fishing the shallower holes that are smaller and less popular, you may only get 1 fish but it will prob be the only one you need. Good fishin-

F
Fishtopher
Theres still fish everywhere. Not all the fish head to the estuary. a lot stick around to eat the Shad that are running right now.

M
MJBSN2
Oregoncity has been treating me well. I pulled in 3 shakers and a 49 incher while the guy anchored next to me pulled in a couple of 8 footers WOW !!! It was a neet sight ........ That was last thursday and weve brought in keepers the last 3 times out..... Good holes at the wall,just stay away from the bank maggets !!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Troutski
F
frodog
Thanks fellas were is this wall? what is the closet boat ramp? And does anyone know about the hole by elk rock island that seems good there still no keepers though.

M
MJBSN2
Clakamette park in oregon city off 205 right by the falls......

Reactions: chris61182
S
Seefood Man
I would stay away from the "wall" To much lead flying. Not knowing that area can be dangerous, hard current, small boats and lack of experience just don't fair well in that water. Question is what are you looking for? Keepers or oversized. The oversized hold in the hard, deep current in town and then they spread out in the estuary to the flats. If you want to fish the estuary I can tell you of a couple of holes relatively close in to shore that will be OK for a smaller boat. If you like give me a call on the cell and I'll point you in the right direction. I'll be heading back down this evening.
Pete
360-513-5256

M
MJBSN2
It does get pretty bad there but its great fishing.Just gotta mind your own andkeep fishing...The current is pretty fair right now unless you get clear up below the falls,that gets a little goofy. Theres also a few good holes out of newberg i hit all the time and do pretty good.

F
frodog
Thanks for all the good insight. You are all great for sharing your knowledge.

Seefoodman I am targeting keepers fish I can't take home don't taste so good not opposed to the fight of an oversize when I was twelve my grandfatheer and I hooked a 9 footer by booneville and a 7.5 right after man that was cool having it tow the boat for an hour and a half. I sure would like to know were these keepers are in astoria that are closer to shallow water.

Y
youngbuck307
MJBSN2 said:
just stay away from the bank maggets !!!!!!!!!!!
you know you really know how to pi** some people off!!!!:mad::mad: magget ill show you magget while i out fish you from the bank and your in your $*&^%* boat.... maybe you should get your head out your @$$ and open your eyes not every one on the bank is a magget! yea i know what they do at the wall is messed up! letting the fish fall 100 feet to the water... but not everyone there is like that. there is a place to fish at the wall were your not all the way up on the road....All i got to say is maybe have some respeact for the people on the bank just because they dont have the money or need for a boat doesn't mean there less of a person!! one more thing is there is nothing worse than someone that can fish the whole river would be stupid enough to anchor up right in someones casting lane!!!! there is plenty of river for everyone and if they got there first have some respect is all im saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
H
halibuthitman
WOW! news brief..... he is standing on the beach with a fish in his profile picture!!! a maggot is a very important part of the circle of life young buck, wear the label with pride!! and I don't know why ANYONE would fish the wall...... combat fishing sucks!

Reactions: chris61182
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
No disrespect...

No disrespect...

youngbuck307 said:
you know you really know how to pi** some people off!!!!:mad::mad: magget ill show you magget while i out fish you from the bank and your in your $*&^%* boat.... maybe you should get your head out your @$$ and open your eyes not every one on the bank is a magget! yea i know what they do at the wall is messed up! letting the fish fall 100 feet to the water... but not everyone there is like that. there is a place to fish at the wall were your not all the way up on the road....All i got to say is maybe have some respeact for the people on the bank just because they dont have the money or need for a boat doesn't mean there less of a person!! one more thing is there is nothing worse than someone that can fish the whole river would be stupid enough to anchor up right in someones casting lane!!!! there is plenty of river for everyone and if they got there first have some respect is all im saying.

youngbuck307;
You know,I had the same reaction to the comment for about two seconds. Then,I had to wonder if it was actually meant in the way I had read it. I hope not. The term "bank maggot" has been around for decades. It hasn't always been acceptable by "bankies" because of the insulting connotations. You would think that people would come up with something better. But,I'm hoping it was said out of empathy for the people on shore. There have been other discussions about boaters anchoring in front of bank fisher folk. I believe the general consensus is that those who do are jerks. I say we give MJBSN2 a chance to explain what was said without threats. How about it,MJBSN2? Did you actually mean to insult about half of your fellow members with that term? Or is it a term you learned long ago and meant nothing disrespectful?
Let's remember to keep the language totally family friendly,folks. Rest assured that I will shut this down if it goes too far. Discussions are great,disrespect is not necessary.
Be safe.
Barb

M
MJBSN2
:clap:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:think: ????

F
FishKiller23
Yea fishing the wall is kinda messed up but there is spots u can get down to the water and fish.

O
osmosis
Haha!

Y
youngbuck307
your right barb i should of gave him a chance..... and ill wear it with pride shot maggots catch fish!!! plenty of days I have out fished the boats in my hole I fish... best part is the boats never really do good in my whole i fish! But me and the few other guys i fish with there kill them! and yea i seen the wall and how full it gets and that isn't for me. I would rather kick back with a few of my friends!