General surf fishing info, please help a newbie.

M
moosebrew13
Hi everyone. I am new here and have been reading lots of great stuff about surf fishing in Oregon. I am mostly interested in perch but am not picky. Any fishing is fun fishing.

I have read a lot about light tackle fishing in CA but does anyone know if that works well in Oregon? Some of the stuff I read, like the ODFW flyer, says use a 12 - 14ft pole, 20lb line, and 3-5 oz weight with a crappie style rig using bait on it. Other things say a 6 - 8ft trout pole with 6lb line and a carolina rigged artificial bait. What it the best way to go? Does the light stuff even work up here?

Also I will be fishing near a jetty. It is the south side of the south Nehalem Bay jetty. Would this effect the outfit I should be using? I don't want to be using a light setup and have it destroyed because I hoked something bigger. Are there more/better place to fish close to this area? I can walk here from my house and would like to keep it very local but am also looking for half day type trips that are not far.

Thanks for all the help. I hope you all can save me money by helping me buy the correct kind of setup.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the best in fishing forum in the state! I've never fished the surf,but it sure sounds like an adventure. There are others on here that have quite a bit of experience doing it and will share the info with you. In the meantime,don't overlook the archives. They are loaded with information,locations and tips for gear and bait. Again,welcome to the family. Enjoy!

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF

Welcome to OFF

Welcome to OFF, a great place to help others and get help from our membership. Plenty of information located in our archives, dive in.
Nice to have you on board.

Chuck

D
Damon79
Hello, I have done a fair amount of surf fishing near Florence and have always used a heavy salmon rod to throw 3-5 ounces of lead-depends on the condition of the surf.. put the weight at the bottom and tie four hooks about 8" apart and use sandshrimp for bait. Now, where you will be fishing near the jetty, you may find you want to change things up a bit to suit your needs.. And yes, it is highly possible you will hook something larger than a perch near the rocks.. Good luck and tight lines..

M
moosebrew13
Damon79 said:
Hello, I have done a fair amount of surf fishing near Florence and have always used a heavy salmon rod to throw 3-5 ounces of lead-depends on the condition of the surf.. put the weight at the bottom and tie four hooks about 8" apart and use sandshrimp for bait. Now, where you will be fishing near the jetty, you may find you want to change things up a bit to suit your needs.. And yes, it is highly possible you will hook something larger than a perch near the rocks.. Good luck and tight lines..

Thanks for the info. I didn't know you could use a 4 hook setup. Isn't that a pain to cast? I guess I will find out, I am dying to get out there and try it.

B
BlackBass
If i was you i would fish a 10-20 or 12-25 line rated rod for a casting rod. If you were to use a spinning rod i would recommend 15-30 so that you can fish up to 4 oz of lead. If you choose the right days to fish you will not need anymore then that. Fish with Shrimp clam necks clams mussels, Herring, Squid , octopus , worms etc. If you are going to fish the South Jetty of the Nehalem I would use the same rod with 30 -50 lb braided line and throw 1-2 oz jigs for bass and lingcod. Dont go to the jetty unable to fish bait and jigs because you will limit yourself to one style of fishing and a few species . Bait rods catch Greenling, Perch , Irish lords , Cabezon , and lings. I use 25 lb test for small species. and 50 lb leaders for jig fishing lingcod. 80 lb leaders for bait fishing lingcod. Hope this helps you in your adventure.

B
Born2Fish55
Nice thing about fishing the Oregon Coast is almost anything goes... big heavy 'beast busting' gear to light 'finesse' outfits...
My personal preferences vary IAW where I fish and what is biting...
Surf - <Surfperch> I like to use a 11' 9# Lami rigged with a Shimano Spinning reel, 8-15# test Spiderwire and 4 - 6' of fluorocarbon leader. I cast a light outfit off of the sand, as I use a 'fish finder' rig and like the bait to move. My weight is normally a 2 - 6 oz. Spunik sinker to allow holding power with minimal weight on the line.
Jetty - 12 - 14' Lami with a bigger, higher capacity Shimano reel. Same line and leader set up, maybe a little heavier if conditions warrant it.
Rocks - Varies, but normally long sturdy rod with big Shimano Spinning reel loaded with Fireline and no leader, but I tend to use dropper for my weights.
I will normally use baits or lures, depending upon what is biting and where I am at.
Like I said, anything goes....

Last edited: