General crawdad info, not a where to...

M
moosebrew13
So I have never tried catching Crawdads before and was looking for some info. It sounds like they are all over the place in different waters but what part of the water is the best? What is the best current and depth for them? Does this change on every river or is it pretty general? Also, what works best for lakes? (We are camping up at Timothy Lake later this summer and could use info about that also.) I read all about baits and stuff and it sounds like just about anything will work but the other stuff is a mystery to me. Thanks in advance for the info.

G
GDBrown
Water conditions

Water conditions

moosebrew13 said:
So I have never tried catching Crawdads before and was looking for some info. It sounds like they are all over the place in different waters but what part of the water is the best? What is the best current and depth for them? Does this change on every river or is it pretty general? Also, what works best for lakes? (We are camping up at Timothy Lake later this summer and could use info about that also.) I read all about baits and stuff and it sounds like just about anything will work but the other stuff is a mystery to me. Thanks in advance for the info.

I find them where there is little or no flow in the water. They are generally in less than 10 feet of water where I'm fishing for them. Timothy lake should have them everywhere! I get mine from the Tualatin, West Fork Dairy Creek, or Nehalem river. A can of tuna in oil with a few holes in it works every time for me. If they are in the area 1 hour soak is all that is needed.:cool:

R
rippin fish lips
idk where u live or where you are from, but the creek called "whitaker creek" out towards triangle lake and mapleton has really good crawdadding!

troutdude
troutdude
I have also found them in creeks & rivers with little or no flow. If you sneak up from behind, just reach in and grab them behind their pinchers. No need for bait, unless you'd rather do that to catch a huge mess for the cook stove! Dunked in butter w/ a little garlic and / or onion powder is pretty tasty.

T
the_intimidator03
I have found mine in and around rocks, gotta be quick tho. I just flip rocks over looking for them. I would bring like a little fish tank net or such.

C
CrawfishPDX
If you need crawdads i'll sell them to you $3 a dozen :D

C
CrawfishPDX
l;l;

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Serioulsy man you need to take a long look at the Oregon fishing regs.

C
CrawfishPDX
are you talking to me? whats wrong with selling crawdad? I think I could sell them out of a petstore if I wanted too.

B
beaverfan
You can't sell fish, crawdads, deer, elk, crab or anything else you catch/kill without the proper permits.

C
CrawfishPDX
oh yeah of course. good thing i didn't sell any yet right? :p btw I have thousands of crawfish

B
beaverfan
Well I just don't think it's a very good idea to post about illegal activities on a public forum that law enforcement DOES monitor. If you want to sell your crawdads this aint the place to do it! This is a family friendly place and that kind of stuff has no place here.

C
CrawfishPDX
Thanks for your advice. I'm not worried about it. They might really start to notice when I sell coyotes as pets huh? :p

K
kornphlake
beaverfan said:
You can't sell fish, crawdads, deer, elk, crab or anything else you catch/kill without the proper permits.

It's also illegal to keep any aquatic species found in oregon waters (native or introduced,) as a pet in an aquarium. I believe there is an exception for newts, where you are allowed a limited number. You can get permits but it's next to impossible unless you have a government sponsored research grant. There are some laws about transporting aquatic plants identified as invasive species (nearly all aquatic plants found in our local waters are considered invasive) as well.

M
Moosebonsai
Am I getting there? Would this fill a Pot and bring joy to my boys?

I believe the original post by moosebrew13 (Hay, cool login name) was requesting advice on catching Crayfish, not on the legality of selling them. I would love to read advice on catching them in the Willamette Zone, also. CrawfishPDX, what is the method to your great success in catching the tasty things? My boys have been crawdad huntin’ while I use spinners for steelhead. They have much better success than I have.

After reading OFF, I gleaned that: a sardine can with a bunch of holes, placed in a Crayfish trap, in still water, near grass would work well, let sit for an hour, especially at Timothy Lake.

They have insisted we bring their meager catches home to boil them for a little taste. They love them. I love crawfish jambalaya and have a great recipe. I thought it might be fun for the boys to target crawfish. I'm not above asking "where?" Do you set traps or use a line? I guess I just looking for some free guidance how to help my boys get a pot load of crawfish.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
O
Otto
Moosebonsai said:
I'm not above asking "where?" Do you set traps or use a line? I guess I just looking for some free guidance how to help my boys get a pot load of crawfish.:D

Crayfish are really easy to catch using traps. You can buy some generic trap at Fishermans, Dicks, or pretty much any place that also sells crab traps. Also search online, and there people out there with diections for making your own traps. I have used my own homemade traps as well as the commercial ones.

As for where to catch crayfish, look for area's of water with low to no current. Lakes are a good bet, but slower rives like the big C and the Willamette can be good. Crayfish tend to live in rocky bottoms and like to hide in the rocks to hunt from. Crayfish by myth are not "scavengers", Their favorite food is trout smolts. They catch them with their "claws" and eat them head first. They will also prey on sculpin, minnows, and any other small fish.

When using traps, you can use cat food cans, Canned tuna etc. But the best bait is fresh fish. Throw in your traps in a rocky area and let them soak for an hour or so and check the trap. There should be some in there. But.... Crayfish do hibernate in the winter, so you might have less success crayfishing during those winter steelhead trips. The Crayfish are most active in spring when they come out of hibernation and feed voraciously to get ready to mate.

Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: Moosebonsai
M
Moosebonsai
That helps a lot! We watched some YouTube videos of folks setting traps and making home made traps. Looks like fun! I'll post anything we catch, but we might have to wait till spring according to your post. I won't forget by then.

Thanks!
:clap:

P
PNW Sam
Take a trap, bait it (use either a can of plain tuna, and/ or trash fish - squawfish, bullheads, anything you catch but won't eat you can use as bait), and throw it in slow water. Pull it up in a couple hours or over night and feast!

Do NOT use canned cat food for bait. It works awesome, but they WILL get some of it and eat it, and you will probably smell it or taste it, and that will ruin the meal. And put in enough bait to keep them interested. They will get out of any trap you can buy as soon as the bait is gone. This means put like 10 small holes in a can of tuna or put plenty of fish inside of some kind of mesh container. Good luck.

H
Hendo30
well? any luck over the past few weeks moosenuckle?

Y
yingxuy
If you secretly from behind, just arrived, grab their pinchers behind. Not necessary for bait, unless you would rather do the cooking stove to catch a huge mess! Butter dunk W / A little garlic and / or onion powder is quite delicious.

Reactions: GraphiteZen