Status
Not open for further replies.
troutdude
troutdude
SHINY! (Sci-fi fans will get it)

Those do INDEED look TASTY!!!

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Looks great I have been fishing in Winchester Bay this year and it has been an epic salmon year compared to the last several. If the wind would have stayed down I would have caught a bunch of fish this year.

bass
bass
Great job! Way to sneak them in under the wire!!

F
Fishnsleep
troutdude said:
SHINY! (Sci-fi fans will get it)

Those do INDEED look TASTY!!!
Yes, they certainly were. :)

Reactions: troutdude
F
Fishnsleep
Duckcross said:
Looks great I have been fishing in Winchester Bay this year and it has been an epic salmon year compared to the last several. If the wind would have stayed down I would have caught a bunch of fish this year.
Yes, ocean conditions have not cooperated very well at all this year.

F
Fishnsleep
bass said:
Great job! Way to sneak them in under the wire!!
Thanks, now waiting for September 04th:).

F
Fishnsleep
Went down to Garibaldi Wednesday morning on a solo fishing/crabbing mission. Had a mishap at the dock, entirely my fault, which ended in me getting wet and purchasing a new cell phone. Reminds me that no matter how many times you have launched a boat, you always need to cognizant of your surroundings and exactly what you are doing. After drying off, accepting the direct hit to my ego, and getting a new phone, headed to the ocean, bar was not restricted, but ocean was pretty choppy, dropped 3 crab pots north of the entrance, towards Twin Rocks and trolled around with cut plug herring for an hour or so.

Decided I would check the pots, since the ocean was rough, and fishing very slow. I could barely lift the first pot into the boat, and got 11 keepers from it. The second pot produced just as well, I kept my 12th keeper for a limit, and then dumped the entire third pot, full of crabs also. Next day, Thursday I only dropped two pots, and had the same success, fished while pots soaked, but no action. Friday was a very rainy day, no crabbing or fishing, then my wife and I crabbed in the bay with six pots Saturday, we had to work at it a little, but did get our 24 crab limit. The crabbing is always better in the ocean, my personal experience, but crabbing in the bay floating around is a nice way to spend the day.

Fishing reports are slow, but I am hoping this changes in the near future, heading down again sometime later this week.

Many thanks to the gentleman who assisted me at the dock after my mishap, I really appreciate people willing to help others when needed.

20200822_114307.jpg

Reactions: Aervax, rogerdodger, Bo Peep and 2 others
Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Well other than you mishap sound like you had a good trip glad you are OK. I will be watching the weather closely further south I want some more ocean salmon out of Windy Bay. Fished the river there last weekend with the other 200+ boats and I never had a bite or saw a fish caught, did hear of some. With the Coho opener coming up I am just praying for a flat ocean even though it is Labor Day weekend the launches will be a $hit show, but I want to fish. Good luck on your upcoming trips.

F
Fishnsleep
Thanks, you too!

F
Fishnsleep
Towed the boat down Thursday night and fished with Jim in his 19’ Arima on Friday. I lost one fish, identity unknown, Jim got a beautiful chinook, not sure about the weight, we did not weigh it, so probably about 20 pounds, lol. On Saturday I fished the south side of the south jetty with my wife for a few hours in the morning. No action at all, we picked up the 3 crab pots we had dropped to the south in about 50’ and only managed 3 keepers. Then we moved north toward Twin Rocks, dropped them again, and fished for another hour. No action while fishing but we did get another 7 keeper crab.

On Sunday I fished south of the entrance solo from about 7 to 11 am, dropped 3 pots which had a huge amount of crabs, got my 12 crab limit easy. I caught 3 coho, released, and one chinook, not huge, only 26 inches, but still good eating. I saw pelicans diving on a current rip, went down 23 feet for the coho, then dropped to 35’ and got the chinook. I was trying out the SpinFish from Yakima Bait, and must say I am impressed. I put guts from my cut plug herring inside the lure, and it worked great.
Salmon+cropped+(4).png

Reactions: Aervax and Admin
E
Eazy-E
I hit the north jetty on sunday. The smog was super thick check it out:
north jetty smog 9-13-20.jpg

Reactions: Admin
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom