Garbage hole Sandy River

Irishrover
Irishrover
So now we all know why they call it the garbage hole. Could not resist taking this photo at the garbage hole today. No the guy was eating lunch not fishing.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Haha! I have seen on more than one occasion, Union Pacific employees fishing at Lewis and Clark Park!

N
nw5785
i bet hes just takin in the scenery :naughty:

Y
youngbuck307
Hey guys im new to the steelie thing and just know some places on the sandy how do you get here???

B
BobberDown
it is easy it is right by dodge park there is a three way right at the entrance to dodge and if you where leaveing the park you just go straight acrose the street and about a mile up that rod maybe less it is on the right you can mis it good luck Dan

Y
youngbuck307
o ok see i heard it was by dodge and i know one of the roads is blocked off back there so just wanted to find out befor i just start driving up roads :lol:

F
FishKiller23
I just gooled dodge and I think if you come across the bridge and continue going up it will be on the right side. I could be wrong but here is a pic of were it looks like a place to fish atleast!

B
BobberDown
if you crose the brige it is to the right but the rod is right acroos the streetfrom the entrace to the park and there is a sign whith the rod closer good luck
thanks dan

Irishrover
Irishrover
FishKiller23...great Google shot but what happen to the garbage truck??;)

Yes cross the bridge keep to the right go past the water bureau buildings headed east on Marsh Road half mile on right is the garbage hole. Be careful the bank dropps straight off to the bolders below.

F
FishKiller23
Irishrover said:
FishKiller23...great Google shot but what happen to the garbage truck??;)

Yes cross the bridge keep to the right go past the water bureau buildings headed east on Marsh Road half mile on right is the garbage hole. Be careful the bank dropps straight off to the bolders below.

So do you fish from above the bolders or do u work your way down? I probably will give it a shot tuesday instead of tomorrow I got a late start today and couldnt find some the gear I need/would like. want to be prepared so when I go out I got a good chance.

B
BobberDown
well i can help you with the jigs if you want i like the lower part of he hole and the frift on the other side cast acrose the river the fish seam to hold there a little good luck fishing Dan

Irishrover
Irishrover
The garbage hole it self is a deep pool that ends in a bolder field and shallows out. When you get there from the parking lot there is a steep worn trail that goes right to hole. Folks fish right from the bank there. Other options are to walk up to the head of the hole or go up to the next hole and fish. Once you get there you will see the upper hole. You can fish down stream but not that far unless you want to wade out to the island. That's not something I would do alone this time of year. You can get a good look at the hole with google and it looks like you may have already done that. Good luck

Last edited:
F
FishKiller23
BobberDown said:
well i can help you with the jigs if you want i like the lower part of he hole and the frift on the other side cast acrose the river the fish seam to hold there a little good luck fishing Dan

Dan where are u located in Portland. Shoot me a pm if u have jigs are your location and your ok with me picking them up rather then shiping i'll come get some this week.

Thanks.

Also thanks for the information irish.

Y
youngbuck307
well i might hit it tomorrow and let you know how i do, but i might go to eagle instead anyone know what would be better???

F
FishKiller23
Lol theres another place i dont know where it is.

A
ArcticAmoeba
There are lots of seemingly newish fish down low on Eagle Creek. I fished it yesterday, and could have walked after 10 casts. I decided to party fish it for a bit, and saw a few taken above me, just below the Cadillac. Both the Sandy, and Eagle Creek have been fishing very slow, but very, very consistent. It is one of those things where if you know where to look, you can pull at least a couple fish out from a rock or tree. Especially on the Sandy. The river is fairly large, so to target the few fish in every drift can be a little tough at times.

Y
youngbuck307
um on hwy 212 well befor estacada there are sighns for the fish hatcary and eagle fern park i havent fished it much my dad just told me about it went there today and had a fish on for a lil bit i wrote about it on another forum about a guys short day on eagle creek

Y
youngbuck307
ArcticAmoeba said:
There are lots of seemingly newish fish down low on Eagle Creek. I fished it yesterday, and could have walked after 10 casts. I decided to party fish it for a bit, and saw a few taken above me, just below the Cadillac. Both the Sandy, and Eagle Creek have been fishing very slow, but very, very consistent. It is one of those things where if you know where to look, you can pull at least a couple fish out from a rock or tree. Especially on the Sandy. The river is fairly large, so to target the few fish in every drift can be a little tough at times.

if sandy garbage hole or oxbow??

A
ArcticAmoeba
Try fishin above the Garbage Hole. There are actually two nice "holes" to fish. The G.H. is the lower one, and you can see the other once you are down to the river. Look upstream and see if you want to fish it.

Y
youngbuck307
sounds like thats were ill be scents its closer.... and i do have to be at work by 3 but killer if you go down tomorrow im in the green 71 pontiac ill be the youngest on the water well normaly i am unless its a kid and his dad.