GAMMA fishing line?

B
Bassface62
I just got two spools of GAMMA copolymer competition grade line, one in 6 pound and the other in 12 pound to respool two of my reels. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this line and if it is any good? I wanted tough line that wouldn't coil up, but that also wouldn't break the bank. Is it worth using or should I take it back and swap for a different brand? :think:

The 6 pound stuff is going to be used on my light pole and is mostly used for bank fishing for trout, while the 12 pound is going to be on a larger pole and will be used to target brooders and to fish off of dam/bridges. Any help/advice would be great :)

Troutski
Troutski
Bassface62 said:
I just got two spools of GAMMA copolymer competition grade line, one in 6 pound and the other in 12 pound to respool two of my reels. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this line and if it is any good? I wanted tough line that wouldn't coil up, but that also wouldn't break the bank. Is it worth using or should I take it back and swap for a different brand? :think:

The 6 pound stuff is going to be used on my light pole and is mostly used for bank fishing for trout, while the 12 pound is going to be on a larger pole and will be used to target brooders and to fish off of dam/bridges. Any help/advice would be great :)

Funny I just respooled my reels with braided line with Fluorocarbon leaders...I simply got tired of the mono lines; when one fishes as much as I do it just seemed to ware out far to soon. I really do like the braided lines for all my applications; spinning,trolling, bobber/jig rod the only reel with straight mono is my bottom rod and it has Fluorocarbon on it. I am not sure if this helps or not, just thought it was funny that I just changed from what you are changing to.

Chuck

B
Bassface62
Yeah, I really wanted to go with braided line, but I just couldn't afford to spend the extra money on it. The GAMMA was half the price of the Braided line that Joes had. What brand of braided line did you go with?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I've got some Gamma in a Hi-Vis 12. THe only really good thing I can say about the stuff I have, is it stays on the spool like glue. Never had it birdsnest, or get all over hell with it spooled on a light spinning setup I use for Steel/Coho. It is rated as it is packaged, unlike 12 lb. UG that is probably closer to a 15, or 17. Not a bad thing, but it does need a bit of an abrasion resistant coating. Otherwise it casts great, and knots very well, along with never coming off of the spool more than one loop at a time. I do not have the Copolymer though, I got the Mono.

Troutski
Troutski
Berkley...

Berkley...

Bassface62 said:
Yeah, I really wanted to go with braided line, but I just couldn't afford to spend the extra money on it. The GAMMA was half the price of the Braided line that Joes had. What brand of braided line did you go with?

I have Berkley on all; I buy it in bulk and it works out to about the same price as Mono. The main plus is not having to replace the line each month...I have some on my trolling reels that is over 5 years old...I do unspool it a couple times during its life span and flip the line and clean it while it is going back on the spool. This is just my personal choice, not trying to start a flame or get a war going over the best lines.....etc.

Chuck

C
chris61182
Bassface62 said:

I too use Berkley braids, though more specifically I prefer the cheaper brand they offer, Spiderwire over Fireline, with another favorite brand of mine being PowerPro.

My everyday rig is always spooled with 10lb braid of either Spiderwire or PowerPro and I am a firm believer in that it has saved me substantial money over mono. On top of not having to respool frequently, 10lb braid has saved me a literal fortune on lures over the old 6lb mono I used to fish.

:D Moral of the story is it'll be a cold day in hell before I switch back to mono. I'm a better fisherman because of braid and it saves me money in the long run too. Your mileage may vary :).

A
ArcticAmoeba
chris61182 said:
:D Moral of the story is it'll be a cold day in hell before I switch back to mono. I'm a better fisherman because of braid and it saves me money in the long run too. Your mileage may vary :).

Thats what it's all aboot! Confidence catches fish. Period. And having confidence in your gear makes fishing that much more enjoyable... One less thing to worry about.

B
Bassface62
Thanks for everyone's opinion on the matter, I'll definetly go over to braided line in the future. I might have to talk myself into buying a new reel for my birthday, I have an extra pole that is just hanging on the wall and I think that'll end being my first braided setup.

Troutski
Troutski
Spinning reels...

Spinning reels...

Bassface62 said:
Thanks for everyone's opinion on the matter, I'll definetly go over to braided line in the future. I might have to talk myself into buying a new reel for my birthday, I have an extra pole that is just hanging on the wall and I think that'll end being my first braided setup.

One piece of advice if you are putting braided line on a spinning reel, find a reel that places the line on the spool in a cross hatch pattern; like a worm gear would work. This allows the line to travel up and down the face of the spool and this keeps it from binding the line deep into the spool, and allows for a greater casting distance. Trust me on this, Shimano makes quite a few models that have this action built into the reels.

Chuck

T
tumblin1
I just learned quite a bit, thanks bassface for asking a good question. A bunch of good tips I can use myself.

C
Catch 22
I use the Gamma on my spool for drift fishing and throwing spinners.
I use Tuffline XP in 30lb for my bobber/jig spool.

Both spools are used on a Shimano Sahara 2500

Braided is awesome for float fishing because it mends so easily as it just lays on the surface.

I would never drift fish with braid. You just can't break off.

Jason

F
FishSchooler
Catch 22 said:
I use the Gamma on my spool for drift fishing and throwing spinners.
I use Tuffline XP in 30lb for my bobber/jig spool.

Both spools are used on a Shimano Sahara 2500

Braided is awesome for float fishing because it mends so easily as it just lays on the surface.

I would never drift fish with braid. You just can't break off.

Jason

braid gives you better sensitivity/hooksets though, a need in drift fishing. Ima get some 6 lb P line... it can hold around 12 lb Im guessin!

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have been screwing around with Gamma, in a HiVis blue for side drifting mostly. It is used as a spinning main, and it works alright. It stays on the spool superbley, and casts at the upper end of the scale, even when frozen. I find the new Sufix X-25 is the best spinning mainline I have found so far. Not as good on casters though. It casts better than any other on the market, and has a very good abrasion resistence. It does change after it gets frozen, gets a little less supple, and tough.

The only thing I use a braid for, is on a casting unit for backbouncing, and a spinning reel for a bobber rod. You don't need braid for drift fishing, the presentation, and tactics do not call for it. And with drift fishing, your drifting gear sets the hook for you, if your leader is the proper length. You really don't need to stab aggressive fish, a quick lift on 'em is usually enough to get them hung. Although the winters sometimes require authoritative hooksets because of different water conditions, and habits of the crazy summers. But braid is certainly not needed for drift fishing, it might cause more of a headache than a hook-up with a relative new drift fisherman. Especially the small diameters, they get worse, and worse as the diameter decreases. In the way of its tendency to "dig."