Funny

S

skunk

So I basically taught myself to cast rods/reels of all type. Some yahoo came up with spey casting on his/her own in the not so distant past, and now you have to pay $250 for some other yahoo to teach you to do said casting. I really need to learn how to rob people like this with bait casters. haha, come spend a day on the water and learn how to not get a rats nest! Only $200, save money and learn. Marketing is what I think is going on.

S

skunk

Its basically tongue in cheek for all the comments on how I can't' possibly learn to spey cast on my own. want to bet!!!

K

Kais

SOme youtube and freetime, and itll be easy

R

redhawk50

Learn on river right. Then go fish on river left...put your hood up, get smacked in the head a couple times until you figure it out. One dude I saw practicing at Oxbow put the hook through his thumb, he showed me. Good thing is he probably learned what not to do and will do it better the next time out. I got a brief intro on guided trip with my parents, then it was articles and youtube and time on the river. I might try to hit up Spey Clave at Oxbow this May though because it is free minus 5 dollars to enter the park. I highly recommend having the hood up when you try a new cast!

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Skunk I think you are onto something here. I agree with you except that Spey Casting has been around for over 300 years. I enjoy spey casting. I hate spending money. I was given the my spey rod as a gift and decided to learn the system myself. I watched videos and spent hours on the river trying to figure it out. Then one day a very nice person on this forum got a hold of me in a PM and said he could help me out. That was "Catch22". I met him at Barton Park and he got me going. He made some recommendations on different lines and helped with the cast. If it had not been for him, I would have done to that spey rods what some people do to their golf clubs. It cost me a cheesburger and a beer, I took him to lunch. Ninjia, Eggs, and I have fished together and helped each other work out some of the kinks.

As for the marketing theory you are dead bang right. That's how these folks make their living. They get you to take the money out of your pocket and give it to them. In turn they try to give you a skill. It is a skill you can learn on your own but not all folks can do that. I'm force to do it because I'm cheap and I like figuring things out myself. But some folks like to pay for lessons be it golf, tennis or what ever. (For the record I don't golf or play tennis). I'll put my money on you, that you can learn on your own. If you should need some help shoot me a PM.

Redhawk has a good point about the hood thing. I still hear that thud in the back of my jacket from time to time. But at least I now know what causes it.:lol::lol:

Last edited:
S

skunk

Skunk I think you are onto something here. I agree with you except that Spey Casting has been around for over 300 years. I enjoy spey casting. I hate spending money. I was given the my spey rod as a gift and decided to learn the system myself. I watched videos and spent hours on the river trying to figure it out. Then one day a very nice person on this forum got a hold of me in a PM and said he could help me out. That was "Catch22". I met him at Barton Park and he got me going. He made some recommendations on different lines and helped with the cast. If it had not been for him, I would have done to that spey rods what some people do to their golf clubs. It cost me a cheesburger and a beer, I took him to lunch. Ninjia, Eggs, and I have fished together and helped each other work out some of the kinks.

As for the marketing theory you are dead bang right. That's how these folks make their living. They get you to take the money out of your pocket and give it to them. In turn they try to give you a skill. It is a skill you can learn on your own but not all folks can do that. I'm force to do it because I'm cheap and I like figuring things out myself. But some folks like to pay for lessons be it golf, tennis or what ever. (For the record I don't golf or play tennis). I'll put my money on you, that you can learn on your own. If you should need some help shoot me a PM.

Redhawk has a good point about the hood thing. I still hear that thud in the back of my jacket from time to time. But at least I now know what causes it.:lol::lol:

I agree with what you posted. My thing is we are all fisherpeople, and sometimes the flyfishing tends to get a little cutthroat. Rather than helping each other, someones trying to make money off of it. These aren't guided trips, just days spent casting. To me it would make a little more sense to take a guided trip where the lesson is free. Maybe some teachers do that, don't know, but I also guess its not the same as sitting in a boat backbouncing and just holding the rod. Its one thing to me to charge for guiding, letting someone use your boat, share your river knowledge, etc. Seems like another thing to charge soooo much, just to teach a method. To each his own, I really have no complaints about it other than, don't make it seem so intimidating and I bet more people (possibly) would try it.

B

bigsteel

I agree with what you posted. My thing is we are all fisherpeople, and sometimes the flyfishing tends to get a little cutthroat. Rather than helping each other, someones trying to make money off of it. These aren't guided trips, just days spent casting. To me it would make a little more sense to take a guided trip where the lesson is free. Maybe some teachers do that, don't know, but I also guess its not the same as sitting in a boat backbouncing and just holding the rod. Its one thing to me to charge for guiding, letting someone use your boat, share your river knowledge, etc. Seems like another thing to charge soooo much, just to teach a method. To each his own, I really have no complaints about it other than, don't make it seem so intimidating and I bet more people (possibly) would try it.

i doubt any guides make their sole living on "casting lessons",,,

G

GDBrown

Time or Money?

Time or Money?

I seem to have one or the other but never both. I understand both sides of this topic. There are things that I will try to learn myself because I have the time and space to do it. Then, I have had to learn things where time was an issue and I didn't have the tools (rods) and it was cheaper to pay someone to provide the tools while I learned from someone who knew how to teach. Kind of like fly tying.:rolleyes: It can be very expensive to buy all the tools and materials only to decide that you don't enjoy it and for what you've spent you could have purchased a couple hundred flies!:shock: When it comes to casting a fly rod regardless of type I struggled with the concept at first and spend years doing it the wrong way before someone was kind enough to say: "looks like you could use a little help with that back cast". His help changed my view of fishing forever.:clap:

The way I see it there's room for both teachers and guides. Most guides are better at putting people on fish and that is what they enjoy. Teachers love to teach and get their kicks out of seeing someone learn.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Skunk seriously if you want to get out there and do the spey or fly thing I know there are enough guys here to give you a hand. I'd be happy to met you on the Sandy. I know what you mean though. I have met some folks who think they have rock star status because they can cast a spey rod, and want to turn it into a buck. When you get down to it, it's a long stick with string on it. Nothing there to be intimidated by. Most of the folks I have met though are just regular fellows using a different method to fish and are willing to share what they know. The guys that I have met and fly fished with on this formum are real down to earth good guys and Gal.

Last edited:
S

skunk

Well, I just got all my gear rounded up. 13'6" rod, fishfield reel, airflow skagit head on rio running line. Picked up one type 3 tip to get started with. And some flies. I'll go out and give this a fling. Basically I just want to find my groove, don't want someones elses, but Irishrover, I'll pm you and maybe if you have time we can meet up. Thanks for the offer.

G

GDBrown

Hey, Irishrover, If you get together with him take your video camera so we can see how well Skunk does..LOL I saw a class being taught a few years ago and one of the options the class OFFered was a full face helmet. You could hear every time someone got hit from the clank sound it made.

Good luck, Skunk you have more guts than I do,

GD

Top Bottom