Sturgeon 2013

D
dtikey
4 of us fished the willie fo catch and release and man what a steller day we had.We ended up landing right about 80 sturgeon and losing probally close to 40 more.Out of those fish landed 4-5 were oversize and 15-20 in the kepper size range.We had like 5-8 fish break us off and the rest shakers 20130217_153106.jpg20130217_174931.jpg20130217_154334.jpg

W
waco
Awesome day!

J
jabs67
WoW!!!! Sounds like a blast. Great job!!! :cool:

bass
bass
Wow, great job! Way to have an epic day.

I spent most of yesterday on the upper river again to no avail. I did head down to the lower river and fish around George Rogers park for about 3.5 hours to end the day. I would say that in the 3 hours I was there I saw several hundred fish jump. Often one would jump and then 2,3,4 or 5 more would jump sometimes in pairs or triples. Everything from little 1 foot long guys to gigantic oversized. I had one jump and land against the front of my kayak. I had two or three that jumped right beside me and splashed me. It was insane!

I was having a hard time hooking fish for some reason (still not sure why). I only ended up landing 5 in the 3.5 hours I was there although I doubt my bait ever sat more than a minute without getting a bite. A family across the river from me did well and landed quite a few fish including two fish on one line. A small shaker somehow wrapped the line around the tail of an oversized. The guy ended up getting them both to the boat. Pretty amazing. Here is a screen shot of what the finder looked like in the area that the other guy was fishing:

LnBMbgT.png

The noise was interference from someone else's FF, but that is a lot of sturgeon. I am not sure what the fish are that are sitting at around 40'.

In the three and a half hours I was there I only landed 5 fish. Which while not bad does not do justice to the fact that about as soon as your bait hit the bottom there was a fish on it. I had so many fish pick up the bait run with it for a couple of feet and then drop it. I have never experienced that before. I tried down-sizing, changing hooks, changing baits. The behavior never changed. It was truly bizarre.

Here is my best for the day, a nice mid 40s fish:

dFR9WqJ.jpg

Nothing like you day dtikey, congrats again on your success.

Y
Yogidabear
You know there will be a day that Mike will catch 80 steelhead lol. Way to go, my arm hurts just thinking about it.

A
alm21
Damn, dude, that's freak'n nuts. The sturgeon were jumping like mad today.