Fun day on the coast

brandon4455
brandon4455
Me and berg03 spent the day chasing winter steel on the upper portion of a smaller coastal stream, the water was the perfect color, and it looked like there was a great day ahead of us. for the first hour or two we hiked upriver and fished all the water we could, trying to locate the fish. Brad was using a new bobber and jig setup and i planned to dead drift egg patterns under a strike indicator. after a while things were not looking the best until we arrived at a small rapid, that had an awesome holding spot right upriver from it, a nice riffle where the fish could stop and rest before heading further upstream. i waded out and made a few casts but no fish.then i waited for a second and rolled another one out and midway through the drift my indicator thought it was a magician and dissapeared. I set the hook and the battle was on. The fish splashed around and took some line,before deciding to head down the rapid.. i knew it was trouble but i managed to follow the fish through the fast water then the worst thing ever happend.my line snapped.. it was above my strike indicator and that makes me think i had a damaged spot in my leader from walking through the woods and rubbing up against logs/sticker bushes.. we talked to two guys who bonked a stray hatchery fish and said the fishing was okay, we fished around them for a while and i ended up hooking another one :shock: I got ready to tail it and it spit the hook in my face..sad day. after that we moved all over looking for fish but could not coax any into taking our offerings. We both managed to catch a few nice 10-12 inch trout while fishing peach and pink glo bugs though. Can't wait to get out again!! and sorry for no pictures...i took a few but most are blurry because it was pouring rain and windy by 12.

Last edited:
J
Johnny Southpaw
Nice report :) Sounds like a sweet little stretch of river you fished. Are you able to 'escape the crowds' on this section of river? Sorry you lost both fish you hooked :( Were they CHROME DOMES? Quite possible your leader got 'dinged' during all the hiking. At least you had some action- I hit the Wilson today with no luck :( Fished a few stretches ranging from around MM 10 to MM 20. Saw a lot of fellow-fisher-folk on the river today-nobody I spoke with had any action. Winter chrome evades me again...

L
lilsalmon
Good job. I was working....being employed again is nice but it sure does screw up the fishing.

W
wozniasm
Sorry to hear about the breakage. Breaking above the indicator is definitely an odd location and agree with you on dinging it.

C_Run
C_Run
Sounds like a promising start for the new year even though the first fish got loose. I'm picking up my license today, finally.

M
markasd
Right on Brandon! At least ya had one at your feet, got to fight it long enough to get it in? Nice little stream ya have there. I need to get out!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
mark, they were in probably quarter or half mile upstream from the white gate, i took that same trail we were on last year and i was able to make it even further upstream this year. lots of fresh fish moving through there right now, plenty of hatch strays too,more then usual from what i understand. and yes, it was awesome to finally hook one and fight it..i was happy to atleast have done that.

troutdude
troutdude
Sounds like a great day on the water to me, despite the losses. Maybe no ink to report today; but we know that you will!

S
Steelheader4Life
brandon4455 said:
mark, they were in probably quarter or half mile upstream from the white gate, i took that same trail we were on last year and i was able to make it even further upstream this year. lots of fresh fish moving through there right now, plenty of hatch strays too,more then usual from what i understand. and yes, it was awesome to finally hook one and fight it..i was happy to atleast have done that.

I believe I fished the same river this weekend and I got into two big hawgs that ran me around and eventually into a log jam. I love that river, it's were I caught my first Steelhead and Salmon and will always be on my winter agenda (especially when everything else is blown). Good job on getting into some fish and don't feel bad about losing them... it's all part of the chase.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Steelheader4Life said:
I believe I fished the same river this weekend and I got into two big hawgs that ran me around and eventually into a log jam. I love that river, it's were I caught my first Steelhead and Salmon and will always be on my winter agenda (especially when everything else is blown). Good job on getting into some fish and don't feel bad about losing them... it's all part of the chase.

yup i think we were at the same place, i feel the same way..caught my first salmon there hoping first steel within a week or two we will be back,just have to buy more egg pattern materials..there was a good number of fish up there and all the ones i saw were chrome