'Full-Rip' NW Earthquake

rogerdodger

This guy is a great lecturer and in this one, he covers the latest on what Geologists think we can expect from the next 'Full-Rip' along the Cascadia Subduction Fault.

4labs

Lots of info and that gps stop is something but wish I'd moved to Idaho
I guess my house is only going to move 10" of its foundation here LOL
Great info Thanks

rogerdodger

the potential for the land here along the coast to move perhaps 100' west and drop 30' down, during a 5 minute earthquake, with a tsunami hitting soon afterwards, is sort of a game changer for the coast.

for example, it's not that difficult to anticipate losing a bunch of the 101 bridges. what blows my mind is that large sections of 101, perhaps hundreds of miles of it, and large areas of the low lying coastal cities, are just going to be gone and/or underwater, for good.

4labs

If it happens in our lifetime I hate to think of the destruction and one reason I left Gold Beach but there were other reasons too. The wife couldn't take the isolation I still would be there.
The mention of the San Andres not getting a 9.0 only a 7.0 was a surprise. My brother has been through a 6.5 without a lot of damage to his home.
A 150 ft drop at the plate is almost impossible to imagine but I'm still confused if that will be the Oregon coast up to Coos or just north into WA.
It seems that the San Andres ends at southern Oregon. I hope the two dont go off at the same time.
And what is this Pendleton thing
Anyway enjoy life we are more likely to be killed in a auto than by a quake.

rogerdodger

CA faults are side-to-side sliding, when a segment lets go, you can get into the low 7's. Subduction fault quakes are big time different. here is the link set to start at a great graphic of what a subduction fault does:

here is our subduction fault in Orange, a Full-Rip would be it letting go along basically that entire length, from N. CA to S. BC.

doesn't concern me living at 50' elevation in Florence, but it sure would change things.

GaryP1958

I survived the Northridge one at ground zero a block from epicenter! It was a thrust quake I was 6 feet OFF my bed.