Front Drag SPinning reels?

S
Scarecro
Im in the market for a new reel and im not gettin what front drag is reffering to.

If anyone has any thoughts on it id like to hear em. Good?Bad?

Im lookin at some shimano ones.

M
metalmania
Front drag means the drag adjustment knob is on top of the spool like you normally see on a spinning reel. Rear drag means the knob is on the back of the reel. I only use shimano's and love every reel i've bought from them, although i'm much more partial to the front drag over the rear. Mostly because I grew up using front drag reels.

O
osmosis
I believe shimano has stopped making new rear drags, though some shops are still trying to sell their stock. Rear drags dont apply the pressure right where you need them quite as efficiently as a front drags so they're getting used less and less.

I have some old rear drag shimano's and I still use them for trout all the time and they work very well for that.

S
Scarecro
wow thanks a lot guys. it all makes sense now. I was actually gonna get one off ebay just now but got outbid and decided ill prlly just get one off my local shop and be able to use it that day instead of waiting a week. thanks guys. Im really looking to try out a shimano. ive heard great things.

Troutski
Troutski
Smart...

Smart...

You won't be sorry, just broke...;) It is an addiction, one will lead to another..and so on. I envy you...like having a piece of heven in the palm of your hand.

Chuck

S
Scarecro
Im wondering what this little switch is. Can anyone enlighten me?
IMG_1904.jpg

M
madoc
Switch right behind the bail arm is basically "free spool." Flip it one way, and the reel only will spin to take in line, flip it the other way and the spool/bail and lever arm will spin both ways.

S
Scarecro
K got it.

Went a caught me a few bass with it today and i must say that shimano has a great feel to it. My old cheapy reel would have trouble brining in 2-3 pound bass but this shimano is so smooth and it doesn't even get phased by a tug or two from the fish. Even the old lady brought in a 2.5 lber today no problem with the new reel. Thanks for the input dooders.