Frog Lake Reservoir

B
beaverfan
Wilsonriverfisher got me interested in a little Reservoir up off Pipeline Rd. It connects to Harriet by means of the pipe. According to my Fishing in Oregon book says that it is known for it's large Rainbows and Browns and they feed and get big because of a huge population of Sculpin in the reservoir. My dad and I are going to hit it tomorrow on our way back from Olallie. Is it legal to catch the Sculpin filet them and use it for bait? What lure can I pick up that I can cast from shore that might roughly imitate a Sculpin. Not sure how deep the lake is but I would guess 20-25 maybe. I've never really bait fished for Browns before, will power eggs or worms work floated off the bottom?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
20 pounder waiting for you

20 pounder waiting for you

beaverfan;
Hope you have great success up there. I read a report a year ago that a huge 20+ pound trout was taken out of there. Take your camera!! Have fun.
Be safe.
Barb

O
OnTheFly
The only thing I know that imitates a sculpin is a Muddler Minnow. A size #8 should do the trick. I realize you may be spin fishing so using the bobber technique may be an option. The lake is deeeep! No, wait...it's deeeeeeep!. This is the holding tank for three lynks power house so I believe it's more than 25ft. Not to worry because the fish will be just off the bank. Good luck and please send a post of your fish!

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
I will have my spinning rod and my fly rod and I just happen to have several muddler minnows. Now that you mention it they do kinda look like a Sculpin.

I
I Grade
I have fished that little 'lake' a few times and I get skunked EVERY time. I use the usual arsenal of trout offerings, but then again...I dont have the patience to stay up there long because that lake is really ugly. There is no scenery and the jagged rocks that line the perimeter are not cool either. I would rather drive to Timothy or Harriet and check those.

I Grade

B
beaverfan
Ya it is pretty ugly, I've driven by it before. Although I have heard great things about the fishing, don't know how long I will be standing out in the scorching sun. Should be fun none the less.

J
joesnuffy
Use a sinking flyline with the muddler minnow. Toss it as far as you can then let it sink, then let it sink some more. Once you let it sink for a while, strip it in with iratic pulls to imitate a wounded fish. Stopping and letting it sink back down after every couple strips.

Don't forget to water log the Muddler before casting it out, it will sink faster.

B
beaverfan
Thanks Joe! I don't have any sinking line, can it be done with a split shot effectively? Sounds like it might affect the flies action. If need be I will just pick some sinking line up at Fisherman's on the way.

J
joesnuffy
What you can do instead of buying a new sink tip flyline for $40+ you can get the sink tip addon (not really what it's called but i forget at the moment) You attach it to your flyline with a loop-to-loop connection (easy to take off when you want to go back to fishing dry). Then you'll have a 15 ft sinking tip :p

It will feel a bit weird to cast but just like everything else, it takes practice.

B
beaverfan
I stopped and fished it on my way home from Olallie and got skunked. There was a lot of little jumpers and I managed a nibble on my kastmaster but thats about it. Olallie was awesome though!

O
OnTheFly
beaverfan said:
I stopped and fished it on my way home from Olallie and got skunked. There was a lot of little jumpers and I managed a nibble on my kastmaster but thats about it. Olallie was awesome though!

Hey beaverfan, I was wondering if you could elaborate on your day at Olallie. I'm git'n a hanker'in to go thar meself.;)

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Just posted a new Olallie thread. I think I'm goin' back this weekend! Here are a few picks of Frog Lake Reservoir for anyone curious about how "ugly" it is. I think I might try it again this fall. Hopefully my back will cooperate.
Picture083.jpg
Picture084.jpg
Picture085.jpg
Picture089.jpg

Last edited:
M
Mmfh
That doesn't look like a bad place to throw a line in for a little while.

It can be ugly as all get out if they are biting I'm only looking at my line :D:D

I
I Grade
It just feels "man made". Granted, most every lake in the area IS man made. However, places like Hagg Lake or Timothy Meadows are both man made, but don't feel like it. So THAT, plus the fact that I have been there 3 times and been skunked EVERY time doesn't encourage me to make the trek up that friggin goat path of a road to get skunked again. Just my .02

I Grade

O
OnTheFly
I Grade said:
It just feels "man made". Granted, most every lake in the area IS man made. However, places like Hagg Lake or Timothy Meadows are both man made, but don't feel like it. So THAT, plus the fact that I have been there 3 times and been skunked EVERY time doesn't encourage me to make the trek up that friggin goat path of a road to get skunked again. Just my .02

I Grade

;)

L
Lancep51
I know this is from years ago, but do you think it would be good to take a float tube on? I used to hunt that whole Mitchell mountain area all the time and fly fish the area but never on that little reservoir. I have heard big rainbows and brown in there. I did pop a few grouse over there before it became a highway when the road washed out below harriet. Now no more grouse so I gotta up higher.