Friday was a bust...

C
ChezJfrey
But today is a different story. First winter. And always has to be that dreaded spoon...just couldn't get one with a fly today.

IMAG0090.jpg

M
montym
ChezJfrey said:
But today is a different story. First winter. And always has to be that dreaded spoon...just couldn't get one with a fly today.

Nice one Chez, that looks like one really shiny fish! If I may ask, what kind of spoons do you use for steelheads?

C
ChezJfrey
I don't much subscribe to any one vendor. I use Lil Cleos a bunch just because they're readily available. However, in winter/cold water, I prefer real silver plate, which Lil Cleo does not provide. Today's was an old blade I had purchased from R&B (I bought a bulk set a long time ago...still have some). BC used to have real silver ones too, but apparently they no longer sell and R&B is out of business too. Getting more difficult to just buy silver blades, but there is a company or two that still sells fully built, silver-plated spoons that I've seen at Fisherman's (can't recall the name right now).

Size/shape/weight all depends on current strength, depth. However, I can usually get away with just a 'standard' shape/width spoon in 2/5 or 2/3 oz. for most winter situations by manipulating the rod/line to keep it in the zone and OFF the bottom. Summer is smaller, like 1/3 oz.

M
Modest_Man
R & B is still making hardware. Still having issues keeping stuff in stock. You're in luck though - 2/5 and 2/3oz silver plated spoons are $20 for 10 right now. I still have a few left from that last bulk sale too...

M
montym
Thanks for the tips Chez, much appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

C
ChezJfrey
Modest_Man said:
R & B is still making hardware. Still having issues keeping stuff in stock. You're in luck though - 2/5 and 2/3oz silver plated spoons are $20 for 10 right now. I still have a few left from that last bulk sale too...

Thanks for that...

As for having left over, I bought like 50 of the smooth finish when they were getting closed out, so yeah, I've been riding that purchase for awhile :)

B
BamaDan
ChezJfrey said:
Thanks for that...

As for having left over, I bought like 50 of the smooth finish when they were getting closed out, so yeah, I've been riding that purchase for awhile :)
I picked up a handful myself. I'm about to start hitting the lower Clack hard in the mornings before work. I hope to see you out there again Chez.

C_Run
C_Run
Thanks for the encouraging report. I'm still making my own out of old flatware. Today, I sorted some of the most tarnished from my stash to make up for the coming season.

H
Hookset
Great Info thanks chez

B
bubs
Nice fish man....the spoon in its mouth looks like the apple in a roast hawg!

C
ChezJfrey
bubs said:
Nice fish man....the spoon in its mouth looks like the apple in a roast hawg!

Hehehe. The thing about that spoon position, is that it is not illusion due to a corner-mouth hook on the other side, that is a single 1/0 siwash that is hooked down in the gill rakes of the throat; it just about swallowed the spoon.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
ChezJfrey said:
I don't much subscribe to any one vendor. I use Lil Cleos a bunch just because they're readily available. However, in winter/cold water, I prefer real silver plate, which Lil Cleo does not provide. Today's was an old blade I had purchased from R&B (I bought a bulk set a long time ago...still have some). BC used to have real silver ones too, but apparently they no longer sell and R&B is out of business too. Getting more difficult to just buy silver blades, but there is a company or two that still sells fully built, silver-plated spoons that I've seen at Fisherman's (can't recall the name right now).

Size/shape/weight all depends on current strength, depth. However, I can usually get away with just a 'standard' shape/width spoon in 2/5 or 2/3 oz. for most winter situations by manipulating the rod/line to keep it in the zone and OFF the bottom. Summer is smaller, like 1/3 oz.

Most likely the silver plated spoons at Fisherman's are Gibb's brand.

C
ChezJfrey
Dizzy Fisherman said:
Most likely the silver plated spoons at Fisherman's are Gibb's brand.

Yes, Gibbs sounds right.