Friday - 8/2/13

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
First time fishing this lake - what an awesome place! Also was my first time taking out a new fishing kayak. Only spent 3 hours on the water, caught a handful of bows in the 10-14" range flyfishing PMDs on the hot springs and resort side of the lake. Callibaetis hatch seemed to come and go once the sun hit the water. Water is unbelievably clear and was able to see some monster fish as I was cruising the cliff side of the lake. I'll definitely be coming back.

J
Jay Herb
jfrost,
welcome to OFF, tell us a little about your fishing kayak and were you fish.
Good luck , Jay

troutdude
troutdude
Sounds like a great day. Totally LOVE that lake!

Some LARGE fish are taken, each year, along the cliff.

A state record brown, came from that lake too. It was over 27 pounds. The current record--since 2002--came from East's neighbor Paulina.

O
OnTheDrop
Well done. That is my favorite lake in this entire state...Grew up going there.

There is some massive browns in there! Including one who ripped my rod&reel out of the rod holder while trolling away from the white slide one day. 300$ set-up gone in the blink of an eye..ha ha.

Good to see you enjoyed it as I have and many others. Your hooked now.

T.D. ^^ In reguards to the 27lber.. The biggest caught while fishing out of the lake was 22lbs 6oz ... But the biggest recorded was 30lbs when they were doing some type of spawning program some odd years ago. Caught with a net, not fishing though.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
The new boat is an Emotion Stealth Angler. Same hull design as the Temptation, just with some fittings for angling. I have to say I'm sold - good compromise between maneuverability and tracking, super stable, plenty of storage. Eventually I'll get a fish/depth finder with a scupper transducer for it. I'm heading to Paulina on Friday, thinking I'll drop some crayfish traps and try to target browns.

Suggestions for kayak fishing for browns? I'll probably hit the water around 6 - should I just start by casting a rapala or would trolling be the better route? I was thinking of using a small banana weight 6-8' in front of a rapala to get down deeper once the water starts to warm up. I would post this to a Paulina Lake section but I'm not seeing one.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

troutdude
troutdude
SteelmonKiller20 said:
T.D. ^^ In reguards to the 27lber.. The biggest caught while fishing out of the lake was 22lbs 6oz ... But the biggest recorded was 30lbs when they were doing some type of spawning program some odd years ago. Caught with a net, not fishing though.

Wow...imagine a 30 pound brown, on the end of your line! Better dig in, and hold on tight!!!

I guess that 2 looked like a 7, when I was lookin' at the display. Dang trifocals, anyway...LOL.

R
rainORsnow1
Not sure if this has been posted, but east lake fisherman be sure you release all non-adipose fin clipped trout.
There is a program going on to control the tui chub. They introduced black-water strain rainbows which are highly aggressive and very fun to catch.
Please respect the program and release these beautiful fish.

J
JimBob
I'd figure in a Kayak a good size brown could get you on the plane faster than a 50 horse mercury.

S
sunsalem
rainORsnow1 said:
There is a program going on to control the tui chub. They introduced black-water strain rainbows which are highly aggressive and very fun to catch.
Please respect the program and release these beautiful fish.
Caught one (at least I think it was) today 100 yards from the resort.
A good fight....about 1.5 lbs. and thick in the shoulders.

F
fishnfella
It's great that we have a new strain of RB's to fish for. But from my experiences in Canada the Blackwater strain has little chance of denting the chub population if the Browns haven't by now. They just eat the very young fry and I've never seen one with anything over 1" or so in it's belly. It just won't work.

S
sunsalem
fishnfella said:
They just eat the very young fry and I've never seen one with anything over 1" or so in it's belly.
Why won't that work over time?:think:

F
fishnfella
Because of the law of diminishing returns as the fry are thinned out, and the abundance of other foods in East.. There will be plenty enough survival of the fry (who tend to hide in the weeds or shallow water) that the mortality of adults from Browns and natural causes will be replaced each year. Thus the yearly spawn goes on and on. Rehabilitation with Rotenone is the ONLY method that will produce significant results......and even that never seems to work 100%. But it does produce a great 2-3 years fishing.