Friday 4/8 report

M
Modest_Man
First time out at Hagg Lake. Had my limit of stocker trout in 30 minutes (all released), 7 casts for 5 fish. Largest was about 11", average of probably 9". Basic beat up fresh stocker trout. Other two casts I had bites but didn't get a hook set. I was across the lake from Boat Ramp C. Where you park on the road and walk in because the gate is locked.

Fished only out 15-20 feet kind of parallel to shore, 18" leader with a single chartreuse power egg 18" off the bottom on a size 12 hook with 2 pound test line and a single split shot. Think small and light. Can't get much more specific than that.

While it was nice to actually catch something the appeal for stocker trout has really diminished for me after hooking a couple steelhead this winter, so I probably won't be going back out there until I have kids or something...

There were lots of boats out trolling slowly close to shore that were pulling in a couple fish. The guys on shore I talked to were getting bites but couldn't catch anything. My guess is too large of hook/bait or too much weight.

I'd brought my 4 wt fly pole but with the steep bank and lots of trees I didn't try it out. (I also had caught my limit by the time I got the fly pole setup.)

T
Throbbit _Shane
I feel you about the stocker trouts losing their appeal.

Guess thats why im gonna target bass, and brown trout from lakes.

N
Noahk
So did you fish out of the CAT or from shore?

C
capblack
Modest_Man said:
I'd brought my 4 wt fly pole but with the steep bank and lots of trees I didn't try it out. (I also had caught my limit by the time I got the fly pole setup.)

what do you mean, as long as your releasing them, you are never to your limit.. right :think:

M
Modest_Man
I fished from shore. Had errands to run out that way and figured I'd just stop by.

And maybe I'm still following WA regs where fish caught with bait count toward the daily limit regardless of if they're kept or released.

C
capblack
Modest_Man said:
I fished from shore. Had errands to run out that way and figured I'd just stop by.

And maybe I'm still following WA regs where fish caught with bait count toward the daily limit regardless of if they're kept or released.

as far as i know, you are only limited to 5 if you retain them.

D
Denduran87
Yea only if you retain them!! I will catch and release all day and only keep the bigguns or the ones i think wont make it if i throw em back.