Freeway Lakes Fishing

C
cavdad45
Just discovered the three little ponds known as Freeway Lakes. Saw a few bass and bluegill enjoying the sunshine in the shallows. I caught two bass on Akura Shads, but no significant size. Anyone fish there on a regular basis? Are there any larger fish? Since there is only one boat launch, is it possible to traverse one lake to another, or even get to the one on the west side of I-5?

Any info is appreciated.
Chuck B.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
Bassdad54
Fishing Freeway lake

Fishing Freeway lake

I fish out there all the time. Yes there are some big bass in there.I catch and release. I have caught up to 10lbers. This year I have done good. A lot of 4-5lb fish. Was out there last weekend and the 3rd lake had a massive bass hatch going on. Baby bass everywhere. Picked up 10 bass that day all over 3-4 lb. You can get small baot into all 3 lakes. Must stay to right bankside going through into 2nd lake and follow through under freeway to 3rd lake.

C
cavdad45
Thanks for the info. May give it a go Sunday after church!

Any favorite lures or presentations you may want to share?

B
Bassdad54
Freeway Lakes

Freeway Lakes

Do you catch and release? Couple weeks ago caught about a 2lb crappie which was biggest from out there. Believe it or not I got the crappie on a black buzzbait under cloudy skies. Rubber worms, tube bait, topwater usually works for me

C
cavdad45
I am 100% catch and release unless we are talking state or world records, I have a couple selected spots on the wall in our family room. Right next to the Dorado that I will bring back from Mexico this fall.

Nice crappie. Haven't caught a big crappie up here in more than a decade. My big ones usually come from bass lures, or for that matter, in bass tournaments. Spinnerbaits and cranks.

Thanks, hope to see you out there one of these times.

N
new boater
Allways wondered about that place

Allways wondered about that place

Driven by those lakes hundreds of times. Good to know that there is public fishing there. Will have to try it out soon. Do you know if there is a charge to launch a boat there?
Thanks
Travis

B
Bassdad54
No fees

No fees

Gravel parking lot and gravel ramp.Not bad unless you have a big boat..Have to stay to right side of lake going through to 2nd cause 1st lake is shallow in quite few places.Since you have never been there I highly suggest using depth finder +trolling motor or you may hit.There is a channel but only 2-4ft when going in 2nd a channel through and under freeway4-6ft and 3rd lake is deepest of all ,,mainly boat pressure in 3rd as people can't go all way around on foot as private homes on middle left side.None on #2,#1lake.They usually stock trout in apr and may.Bass,crappie,bluegill,carp, year round fishing open to public.I catch and release bass and crappie. Good lake to test your skills

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I fish there a lot also. I'm pretty sure it's electric motor only.. . Water clarity is a big issue. I have never seen it have more than 2 feet of visibility. Haven't caught any nice bass there but have definitely pulled a lot of free gear from the bushes and trees. :D

B
Bassdad54
It is not elec only

It is not elec only

I have small 5hp gas motor,not elec only lake look it up.Some big bass in there.Just a heavily fished lake so sometimes the bass get lockjaw.I can usually pick up at least 1 or 2 each trip unless it is winter or really cold

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Soooooo... I was in sporting goods store a few days ago and there is a young man who is a serious bass fisherman working there. He showed me some pictures of 5-8 pound fish he has pulled out of Freeway Lakes....

Now for the kicker..

Supposedly some dude pulled a bass out of the first section that he claimed, and apparently a lot of people agree was a possible state record. He took one photo, and being a catch and release guy let it go. He claims, and supposedly the photo confirms it was around 36''........ Pulled off a spawning bed this spring. Whatever the true measurement was the angler is 6' tall and when held up to his thigh the tail fell to around his ankle.

So apparently there are some big fish in the Freeway Lakes. ;)

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Which sporting goods store were you in? I would love to know! 36 inches? That is truly AWESOME. Anyhoo, I guess it is that time to rig up all the bass lures I know of and hit those spawning beds...Lunkers beware, the OFFrs are comin!:dance:

C
Combat Chuck
huh... was out there tuesday and the biggest I could come up with was maybe 5". I did have an odd "strike" on a popper. I saw something rise for it then it paused while nearly touching it and it slowly sank back down. I couldn't see the full fish... just a figure. It could have been something big though. It gets heavily fished, so hopefully some C&R will leave a couple fish for me :cool:

B
Bassdad54
Very Heavily fished

Very Heavily fished

I have had fun this year out there.I have caught a lot of quality size this year.I catch and release so I have my spots I usually can pick up a fish or two most of the times

C
cavdad45
36 inches? According to my math that would be 25.92 pounds. I doubt it. :confused: Not in Oregon.

But I'll be looking for some fish there this next weekend. Anything over 5 will be satisfying enough.

F
flippinbaits
yea i wasn't gonna say n e thing but now that you did the math.

i came out with about 27lbs :lol:

so this fishing tale A) would have been a state record by 8+ pounds and B) would possibly be the world record. you know instant sponsorship and money, fame, cars, and interviews...but yea i would release it too.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Errr maybe 26''.... There is a photo tacked to a board in an Albany feed store that supposedly confirms the length..

F
fishudedmeet
do yall think i cloud do ok from the bank? how? where?

B
Bassdad54
You can catch them

You can catch them

Try dragging a night crwler along the bottom anywhere close to the trees and you will probally catch something

F
fishudedmeet
a real one or a rubber one?

B
Bassdad54
Fishing Freeway lake

Fishing Freeway lake

Since I do a lot of tournament fishing real night crawlers are not allowed.I use black powerbait worms or zoom pumpkin brushhog,tubes.If you use real crawlers you will have better chance